Neon Lightning

Reporter for QPRC Jen Lawson was with local resident Ray Lonardo on his driveway in the late August evening.

"So Ray, tell us about the upcoming Popper's Pizza and Chicken Annual Hill Bomb Competition. Now just a week away." she asked.

"Well, it's always been a big event in our community. It really brings everyone together and we have a lot of fun with it. It's like our coming-of-age ceremony," Ray said.

"Any special memories that stand out?"

"Well, the competition has been going for many generations, but if I had to pick one, it begins and ends with Neon Lightning."

"Neon Lightning, of course. The most wins by any bike at this competition."

I'm not the only one that has countless stories of that bike. That thing belongs in the museum of natural history."

The annual hill bomb competition held in Greenscott, Pennsylvania, is held at the end of August. The contestants consist of the middle and high schoolers of the town. Often just under 100 riders enter into the contest, competing for the ultimate glory at the end of each summer. The contestants will walk their bikes to the top of the Follson Avenue hill. The oldest riders will have priority and will form the front row, and all others will fall in behind where they can. The hill is 1 mile long and has an average 30% gradient. So steep that any regular rider would have to clench both front and back brakes all the way down to prevent themselves from crashing into the river at the bottom of the street. At the bottom of the hill will be a wall of hay bales to cushion anyone whose brakes have failed them, or those who willingly bomb the hill break-free. Hay bales will also line the sides of the street, where the spectators will be watching. Important to note, the hill levels out at 3 intersections, and is dotted with manhole covers as well as drainage grates along the curbs, often causing problems for competitors. The competition, the site of some traumatic injuries and near death accidents throughout the years, has been held in the town of Greenscott since 1945. Many from outside of the town have called for its end due its inherent danger, but petitions from the public and negative coverage from media have failed to convince the proud residents of Greenscott to give up their beloved tradition, currently named The Popper's Pizza and Chicken Annual Hill Bomb Competition.

Ray Lonardo was in his basement with his old weightlifting equipment, training his youngest son, Elio, for this year's hill bomb. Elio was going into grade 9, and had been too scared to ride in the hill bomb in grades 7 and 8, but Ray would not allow any of his sons to enter highschool without riding in the hill bomb. Elio was an artistic kid, unlike any of his 3 other brothers, Bruno, Mike, and Sam, who are all naturally big and athletic, like their father. Elio liked music and is in the school band, and generally shied away from any physical activity, and begged his father to not have to ride in the hill bomb.

"Give me 3 reps, Elio" Ray said as Elio's scrawny body lay on the bench press exhausted.

"Dad we've done like a thousand exercises, I won't be able to walk for the hill bomb if we keep this up," Elio said.

"Elio, Folsom Ave is gonna inflict a lot more pain than I ever could in this basement. If you can't handle this, you'll never make it down."

"Well maybe I don't want to make it down."

"Don't say that Elio, everyone wants to make it down. Every man from Greenscott has wanted to make it down that hill, and they were better men for it. Just give me one good ride and you'll never have to do it again. You'll love it and be better for it, I promise. Now c'mon," Ray said as he helped Elio lift the bar off the rack.

Elio clenched his face in dear pain and writhed his body on the bench as he fought for his 3 reps.

"Good job kid, now chug this protein shake, we gotta put some pounds on ya," Ray said.