Under The Mistletoe |m.r|

I've worked at Sally's for a while now, a cute little bar ducked off in the trees

I've worked at Sally's for a while now, a cute little bar ducked off in the trees. I first happened upon it maybe three years ago. As soon as I set foot inside, I knew this was a place for me. I had just broken up with my girlfriend and wanted to drink away my sorrows. I ended up flirting with Sally, the owner of the bar, and eventually she ended up driving me home since I was too drunk.

The next day, when I came to retrieve my car, she offered me a job. She said she could tell I needed the distraction and I thanked her for it. So here I am, working for her ever since and I have to say it's one of the best jobs I've ever had. Needless to say, this is my kinda scene because I'm gay. I find comfort in all the new faces every night, each sharing the comfort of not having to hide.

Tonight is supposed to be busy, as it usually is during the holidays. I've agreed to work over time because it's great money and there's really no other way to spend my time. However, I won't really be working too hard tonight considering most drinks are already premade. It just helps in terms of the rush and plus the holiday drinks are always self-serve for the most part.

Sally is pretty lenient when it comes to things like that because she trust her customers. Also the dispensers are right near the bar and I'm quite observant. As I'm cleaning a few glasses and shakers, the wooden door opens and the remaining light of the sun floods in. My gaze travels to meet a familiar face and I smile, remembering the first time I met the fiery-haired woman.

I'm mixing a drink when a sweet smell invades my senses. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but it certainly catches my attention. I pour the drink, sliding it over to the appointed regular and turn my head in the direction of which that unforgettable smell came from. I'm met with an older woman, red hair cascading to her shoulders.

She seems hesitant, as if she's out of her depth. She takes a seat at the bar and I make busy to give her time to go over the menu. I slowly make my way over as I see her glancing around and I lean closer to better hear her. "What can I get ya?" I ask politely and she seems startled that I spoke to her, which makes my already present smile widen.

"A gin and tonic" she states confidently and I nod, my eyes narrowing a bit. "Coming right up" I say, leaning back and reaching for the liquor. I decide to make her a cosmo instead, but I made a little shot worth of the drink she asked for. I just have a feeling she only requested the drink because it's more of a proper or 'traditional' cocktail.

I walked back over, sliding the drink to her and she furrows her eyebrows. "This... isn't what I asked for" she says as she pushes it back over to me and I chuckle. "Just try it" I insist and she shakes her head, "here. This is what you ordered" I say. I give her the little shot glass and she eyes me curiously, bringing it up to her lips to sip on it.

She almost immediately grimaces, even though she tries to hide it. She places the shot glass down, not even bothering to finish it. I grab it and toss it back, shaking my head a little and wincing at the burn. I glance back at her to see her eyeing me almost disgusted and I giggle. "What? We don't waste around here" I shrug and she just gives me a tight-lipped smile.