Christmas. Chicken. Chaos. |c.a|

It's getting closer and closer to Christmas which means my nerves are through the roof

It's getting closer and closer to Christmas which means my nerves are through the roof. This is my first Christmas with Carol, not to mention her daughter Rindy and I want to make it perfect for them. I guess most of the pressure is on impressing the little blonde. If she's anything like her mom, flashy things won't really affect her.

Through these last few months that I've been living with them, I've gotten to know her a little better and she indeed is a carbon copy of Carol. It's the sweetest thing to see her make the same facial expressions at things; yet it's also terrifying because she's quite hard to please. Nevertheless, I love her just as I love her mother because she's such a sweetheart.

"Baby, can you pass the mashed potatoes" I go to reach the bowl and Rindy does too. We both look at her to silently ask who she meant and she chuckles. "How about I just grab them" she suggests with a grin, standing up a bit and leaning over to grab the bowl. I finish loading up my plate and just as we're about to start eating, I notice Rindy is really quiet.

"Are you ok, sweetie?" I ask softly and she shakes her head, her little curls swaying. "What's the matter, darling?" Carol chimes in and all of a sudden the little blonde starts crying, trying to wipe her nose with her hand. "I don't want to eat animals. I love animals!" She exclaims, Carol and I glance at each other in slight shock.

We both clearly didn't expect the outburst, considering she was fine earlier today when we had sandwiches for lunch. "Awww sweetheart, thats very noble of you to say. You don't have to eat them anymore if you don't want to. I support you, completely" I smile at the older blonde's statement, loving how she affirms her daughter in everything she does.

Then it dawns on me that if they're both not eating meat... what does that mean for me? "I don't have to stop eating chicken, right?" I turn to ask Carol, I don't really care for the other things but chicken? I mean... chicken nuggets? Come on! Rindy begins to cry harder and I cringe, Carol frowning at me with disapproval etched on her features.

'What?' I mouth, shrugging as to communicate that I obviously didn't know she'd react that way. Eventually she calms down and we continue to eat, Carol eyeing me to make sure I didn't touch the meatloaf on my plate. When I tried to sneak a piece, she kicked me under the table making me gasp. Once we've finished and cleaned up, Rindy is tucked into bed and she meets me in the bedroom.

"Did you really have to say that in front of her?" Her hushed tone doesn't take away from her disbelief, if anything, it heightens the sentiment. "What? That's her morality, not mine" I argue, she simply shakes her head and goes to the closet to change. When she emerges, she slips into bed next to me and reaches to turn off the light.

"By the way, I told her that—to support her endeavor—we won't be eating meat for a week" then the light is shut off as my jaw drops and I listen to her get comfortable. "Excuse me, what? You can't be serious" I'm genuinely worried as Carol isn't really the joking type, especially when it comes to Rindy. "Oh I'm very much serious, honey" she chuckles and I groan as I flip over.

"But Carol!" I whine, "go to sleep. You'll live" I can just hear her smirk as she hugs my waist. "I'm glad you find this amusing" I huff and snuggle closer to her, the vibrations in her chest from her chuckles making way to my cheeks. "I love you too" she laughs...

the next day

I'm sitting on the bed in our room, sighing as I glance at the clock. It's officially been 12 hours since I've had any sort of protein and I'm reaching my wits end. Ok it might not be that big a deal but for someone who eats as much as I do, this is not enjoyable! I hang up the phone for the 5th time, wanting to scream. "What are you doing up here?" Carol asks as she approaches me to place a kiss on my lips, "trying to book a hotel room for a week" I reply.

I continue scrolling on my phone, grumbling as I pass the ones I've already called. "You're really going to miss Christmas because you can't eat chicken?" She sighs incredulously and my gaze snaps to hers. "YES. It's that serious" I counter, soon going back to my searching until she takes my phone out my hand. "Baby, it's one week. She'll probably be over it before then anyway" she sighs as she sits next to me.

"You don't know that!" I complain, "ok, even if she isn't—it's really not that bad" she chuckles. "It's the holidays, how do we not eat meat?! We just eat vegetables and candy??" I point out, "I love candy! That sounds awesome" we both turn our heads to see Rindy standing in the doorway and I place my head in my hands as I whine. "Easy there, baby. Did you need something? I'm trying to calm your mama" she chuckles softly and I groan.

"I'm hungry and there's no fruit" she voices, "alright. I'll have mama go to the store for you in a little bit, okay?" I hear the little girl agree before walking off and I lift my head to glare at the older blonde. "Now I have to shop for the enemy?" I quip, "the enemy? Darling she's 6... and the only 'crime' she's committed is wanting to save animals" she tries to reason but I'm not having it.

"Can I at least buy something for myself? I'll hide it" I promise, "you know how precocious our little one is; she'll notice" I'm met with. "Why am I getting punished for her 'nobility'? It's not fair" I pout, "I love you but you're being a tad dramatic" she says while caressing my cheek. "I'll go to the store for the little evil spawn but then I will return to the room and I want silence, ok? Si-lence. I can't take this otherwise" I say as I stand up and slip on my shoes.

"Did you really just refer to our child as an 'evil spawn'?" She sighs and I raise my eyebrows signaling I'm not going to take it back. She shakes her head and I leave to go to the shop. Once I'm back, I do exactly as I said and drop the groceries to the kitchen before retiring to the room. About a half hour later, Carol enters the room and closes the door behind her.

"Listen I know you're... protesting and whatnot—but we're about to have dinner" she alerts me, "of what? Bread and butter?" I mumble. She flips me over on my back and straddles my hips, placing her weight on me so I can't move. "Stop being a brat and come have dinner with us. Rindy wants you there, so you better suck it up" she scolds but I'm too distracted to care.

"And you?" I question, "you're helpless, you know that?" She chuckles and I just smile goofily. "I do feel a bit helpless right now" I whisper, "fine. I'll play your game" she leans down close to my face and I crane my neck trying to reach her lips but she pulls back. "Uh uh, not yet. Come eat 'bread and butter' with us and maybe I'll give you an... extra treat tonight" she smirks and my mind runs wild with scenarios.

"You're lucky you're sexy" I whisper...

a week later—after Christmas Day

I still haven't had any meat but Carol has been... filling that void with something else. I'm actually getting used to it, funnily enough, and I'm nowhere near as cranky. "Mommy" Carol turns while we sit cuddled on the couch watching a movie, to the little blonde on her other side. "Yes, sweetheart?" She prompts, "I want chicken nuggets" that immediately got my attention but I tried to remain calm.

"Are you sure, baby? You said you didn't want to eat animals anymore, remember?" Carol, I love you but, please shut up. "I know... but I think it's not good because I'm always hungry" she admits. I love you child. I love you. "I'm sure we could find alternatives if that's the case" Carol Marie Aird, stop. "I really just want real chicken nuggets" she says and that was the last straw.

I hopped up off the couch and Carol's head snaps to me with a look of shock. "I volunteer, I'll go to the store" I blurt out, "well I-" "thank you, mama" Rindy butts in. "Why of course, baby. Thank you" I place a kiss on her forehead and then one onto Carol's lips, who smiles in amusement, before heading out. That night we had chicken nuggets and fries with the biggest smiles on our faces and I was the happiest I had ever been.