Chapter 12: Hope?

Sivestian Empire, Great Eastern Alps, Octubres 20, 835

Following the intense Battle of the Alps, the resilient Sivestian Empire promptly dispatched its forces to the ravaged fort, undertaking reconstructing back to its old self. Bolstering their efforts, additional reinforcements were swiftly mobilized, aiming to ensure that the harrowing events of the preceding day would not be replicated.

In the heart of a dense forest, a vigilant company of Sivestian guerrilla soldiers meticulously surveyed their surroundings, assuming the crucial role of scouts on a mission to uncover the elusive positions of daemons. Each step they took was executed with an almost ethereal grace, their movements adept at producing minimal disturbance on the grassy terrain. The soldiers, eyes darting in various directions, meticulously scanned the environment, their rifles poised and ready to confront any potential threat emanating from suspicious quarters.

"Halt," commanded the elven captain, his right hand raised in a gesture that brought the entire contingent to a standstill. The immediate aftermath was marked by an eerie silence, the only audible echoes being those of leaves and grasses being gently stirred by the whims of the wind.

After a brief interlude devoid of ominous signs, the captain broke the stillness with a hint of self-reflection, "It must be my paranoia, move." The company reassured by the captain's assessment, resumed their gradual and silent advance through the forest.

Unbeknownst to them, a cunning daemon concealed itself within the natural camouflage of a tree strategically positioned above the unsuspecting soldiers. The arrows wielded by these daemons are known as "Enhanced Arrows" possessed a lethal combination of speed and precision, being five times faster and deadlier than their conventional counterparts. This unique ammunition boasted unparalleled penetration capabilities, surpassing even the effectiveness of a standard bullet.

In the clandestine shadows of the forest, the cunning daemon deftly loaded the lethal enhanced arrow onto its crossbow, taking meticulous care as it aimed at the unsuspecting elven soldiers. A breathless tension enveloped the scene as the crosshair of the daemon's weapon locked onto its targets, and ominously, the skies above began to darken, foretelling an impending rain.

With a deliberate pull of the trigger, time itself seemed to slow down as the enhanced arrow found its mark, viciously piercing the jaws of an elven soldier. The ensuing spectacle was nothing short of gruesome, the fallen soldier now lifeless, lower jaw obliterated by the merciless projectile.

A survivor among the elven soldiers, frozen in shock, gazed upon the tragic tableau of his fallen comrades strewn across the forest floor. The ominous silence was shattered as three more arrows found their targets, leaving additional soldiers in the thrall of death. Snapping out of his initial stupor, the remaining elven soldier bellowed, "Shit multiple men down!" His urgent cry jolted his comrades back to reality.

Taking swift action, the elven captain and his surviving men sought refuge behind the cover of trees and fallen logs, urgency etched across their faces. "Open fire!" he commanded, gesturing toward the direction from which the lethal arrows had originated, a determined resolve in his eyes as the forest erupted in a battle.

From the concealed depths of the forest, the camouflaged daemons emerged, their sinister forms blending seamlessly with the surroundings as they surged forward, brandishing swords and spears with deadly intent. The sudden onslaught caught the Sivestian soldiers off guard, prompting an immediate reaction from the elven captain.

"Shit, at that direction!" the captain exclaimed, swiftly pointing towards the menacing charge of the daemons. The urgency in his voice reflected the imminent danger posed by the adversaries.