Chapter Six

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖉𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖔𝖋 𝕹𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖆

The Lion was pacing to and fro about that empty land and singing his new song. It was softer and more lilting than the song by which he had called up the stars and the sun; a gentle, rippling music. And as he walked and sang the valley grew green with grass. It spread out from the Lion like a pool. It ran up the sides of the little hills like a wave. In a few minutes it was creeping up the lower slopes of the distant mountains, making that young world every moment softer. The light wind could now be heard ruffling the grass. Soon there were other things besides grass. The higher slopes grew dark with heather. 

Digory had to jump because Uncle Andrew had sidled up to him again and was going to pick his pocket. It wouldn't have done Uncle Andrew much good if he had succeeded, for he was aiming at the right-hand pocket because he still thought the green rings were "homeward" rings. But of course, Digory didn't want to lose either. "Stop!" cried the Witch. "Stand back. No, further back. If anyone goes within ten paces of either of the children, I will knock out his brains." She was poising in her hand the iron bar that she had torn off the lamppost, ready to throw it. Somehow no one doubted that she would be a very good shot. "So!" -she said. "You would steal back to your own world with the boy and leave me here."

Uncle Andrew's temper at last got the better of his fears. "Yes, Ma'am, I would," he said. "Most undoubtedly I would. I should be perfectly in my rights. I have been most shamefully, most abominably treated. I have done my best to show you such civilities as were in my power. And what has been my reward? You have robbed,"

None of his words reached Aquila's ears, she was staring at the lion Intently, "Atticus," She cried to herself.

It made all of them stop for a moment and look at her, "Atticus?" Polly asked, "Your little brother?"

"Your brother is on the lion's back?" Said Digory Astonished.

"Yes, that is my little brother," She grinned.

"Oh stow it, Guv'nor, do stow it," said the Cabby more to Uncle Andrew and Jadis than the children. "Watchin' and listenin's the thing at present; not talking."

There was certainly plenty to watch and to listen to. The trees were now full-grown beech's whose branches swayed gently above their heads. They stood on cool, green grass, sprinkled with daisies and buttercups. A little way off, along the riverbank, willows were growing. On the other side tangles of flowering currant, lilac, wild rose, and rhododendron closed them in. The horse was tearing up delicious mouthfuls of new grass. All this time the Lion's song, and his stately prowl, to and fro, backwards and forwards, was going on. What was rather alarming was that at each turn he came a little nearer.

Very soon Aquila felt quite certain that all the things were coming out of the Lion's head. When you listened to his song you heard the things he was making up: when you looked round you, you saw them. This was so exciting there was no time to be afraid. But Digory and the Cabby could not help feeling a bit nervous as each turn of the Lion's walk brought him nearer. Aquila grew more and more impatient as for the moment she saw her brother she realized that this must be the great lion that made her world.

As for Uncle Andrew, his teeth were chattering, but his knees were shaking so that he could not run away. Suddenly the Witch stepped boldly out towards the Lion. It was coming on, always singing, with a slow, heavy pace. He was only twelve yards away. She raised her arm and flung the iron bar straight at its head. "No!" Aquila yelled. Nobody, least of all Jadis, could have missed at that range. The bar struck the Lion fair between the eyes. It glanced off and fell with a thud in the grass. The Lion came on. Its walk was neither slower nor faster than before; you could not tell whether it even knew it had been hit. That is until the harsh green eyes of the child on his back met the group.