Chapter Nine

𝕬𝖑𝖎𝖈𝖔𝖗𝖓 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕱𝖑𝖊𝖉𝖌𝖊𝖘 𝕬𝖉𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊

They could already see over the tops of the low hills which lay northward on their right; beyond those hills a great moorland sloped gently up and up to the horizon. On their left the mountains were much higher, but every now and then there was a gap when you could see, between steep pine woods, a glimpse of the southern lands that lay beyond them, looking blue and far away. "That'll be where Archenland is," said Polly.

"Yes, but look ahead!" said Digory. A great barrier of cliffs rose before them, and they were almost dazzled by the sunlight dancing on the great waterfall by which the river roars and sparkles down into Narnia itself from the high western lands.

"We'll have to do a bit of zigzagging here," said Fledge as they were not yet high enough to fly over the incoming cliffs. "Hold on tight."

Him and Alicorn began flying to and fro, getting higher at each turn. The air grew colder, and they heard the call of eagles far below them. Aquila was shivering wishing she had kept her armor on. "I say, look back! Look behind," said Polly. There they could see the whole valley of Narnia stretched out to where, just before the eastern horizon, there was a gleam of the sea. And now they were so high that they could see tiny-looking jagged mountains appearing beyond the northwest moors, and plains of what looked like sand far in the south.

"I wish we had someone to tell us what all those places are," said Digory.

"I don't suppose they're anywhere yet," said Polly. "I mean, there's no one there, and nothing is happening. The world only began today."

"No, but people will get there," said Digory. "And then they'll have histories, you know."

"Well, it's a jolly good thing they haven't now," said Polly. "Because nobody can be made to learn it. Battles and dates and all that rot."

Aquila urged Alicorn up beside Fledge, "well after I am high queen when there are people and histories, I will go back to your world and tell you all about it in the most fascinating way possible. Maybe, dare I say, I may even get to bring you back here."

Digory grinned, "That would be most amazing to hear and see what's to become of this world." Polly rolled her eyes at her two friends, Digory had always been fascinated by history, but she had no idea Aquila had been too. Though she had to admit the history of a magical world did seem much more tolerable and interesting then the history of their boring mundane world.

Now they were over the top of the cliffs and in a few minutes the valley land of Narnia had sunk out of sight behind them. They were flying over a wild country of steep hills and dark forests, still following the course of the river. The really big mountains loomed ahead. But the sun was now in the travelers' eyes, and they couldn't see things very clearly in that direction. For the sun sank lower and lower till the western sky was all like one great furnace "It's none too warm up here," said Polly.

"And my wings are beginning to ache," said Alicorn. There's no sign of the valley with a lake in it, like what Aslan said. Aquila knew that Aslan was always right, so they just weren't there yet.

She wanted to keep going. She wanted to get this done tonight. She wanted to stop Jadis here and now, but she knows she can't. They couldn't go all night, that wasn't fair to Digory or Polly and most of all it wasn't fair to Fledge or Alicorn. "What about coming down and looking out for a decent spot to spend the night in? We will not reach that place tonight."

"Yes, and surely it's about time for supper?" said Digory. Aquila realized that they didn't have any food, she was used to going days without food but Polly and Digory weren't. Fledge and Alicorn came lower and lower. As they came down nearer to the earth and among the hills, the air grew warmer and after traveling so many hours with nothing to listen to but the beat of the intelligent beast's wings, it was nice to hear the homely and earthy noises again.