Chapter 4

2019

When Rohit walked into Shreyas' room after the MI team had landed in Delhi for the second leg of MI vs DC, Shreyas was banging around in the room in a bad temper.

"What's up?" asked Rohit.

"Something's off with this drink." Shreyas held up his protein shake. "It's lacking something."

"How d'you know?"

"I just know. It's lacking something that SHOULD BE IN A PROTEIN SHAKE--"

Rohit covered his ears in time.

"--LIKE PROTEIN."

"True," agreed Rohit.

"You're being sarcastic," said Shreyas.

"I'm not being sarcastic," said Rohit quickly. "I completely agree with you that a protein shake should have protein, and if you feels yours is lacking it, I sympathize with your temper. Maybe we should sue the company. I've heard people get millions of rupees as compensation if they can successfully sue a commercial product."

"Rohit bhaiya!"

"What? I'm serious. You've heard of the man who sued Red Bull because it didn't give him wings and he couldn't fly? Imagine his disappointment." Rohit couldn't help laughing at Shreyas' expression. "C'mon, Yas, laugh a little--"

"Get out of my room," commanded Shreyas.

"How rude."

Shreyas caught Rohit's arms and dragged him outside the room and slammed the door shut, which was when Rohit realized Shreyas must be seriously upset with something that was not a protein shake apparently lacking protein.

___________________

Rohit thought long and hard about what it could be, while whenever he and Shreyas crossed paths in the hotel, he received glowers.

The problem was, it was so difficult to take Shreyas seriously. It was difficult to imagine he might actually be upset about something instead of pissed off with something insignificant and silly.

I shouldn't think like that, Rohit rebuked himself. Even kids' feelings must be respected. That was what Ritika was always saying as she read the parenting books since Samaira was born.

What might have upset the boy now? Something related to cricket? 

Not IPL. DC was doing decently...

Could it have anything to do with the World Cup squad selection yesterday? Rohit sat up in his bed, quite ready to sacrifice his evening nap. Shreyas wasn't in the squad, but then, he hadn't been playing ODIs in a long while, so he hadn't truly been in consideration.

With the debate going on about the number 4 slot, Shreyas' own, and India still not having a decent number 4, was it possible some part of Shreyas had hoped he might be in consideration?

Suddenly, Rohit was sure this was it.

Over the past six months, India had tried out several number 4's. None of them had clicked too well, and the one who had clicked relatively best, Rayudu, had not been included. Virat and Rohit avoided the discussion after the squad selection with the committee, but they were not at all pleased with that particular slot even now.

And not being part of a World Cup squad after hoping for it? After feeling you certainly deserved it more than some players in the squad?

Rohit knew how it felt.

Rohit knew it a lot better than he would have wanted to.

___________________

The next day, Shreyas dropped down beside Rohit at breakfast, giving him a disarming smile. Rohit smiled back warily (was Shreyas going to act like Shreyas and pretend like nothing had happened yesterday?)