2. Foster system

Madam Lee had gone out of her way to order one of the most expensive snacks. Seated on one of the couches, her legs crossed, she scanned the green-painted room with a stoic expression. Her fingers interlocked on her crossed knees as if she didn't want to break character.

"Welcome. It's a pleasure to see you both finally," she greeted the couple, who sat close to each other, wearing pleased smiles. "I've been waiting, but it's good that you're both here. Please help yourselves with some snacks." Madam Lee gestured towards the plate of biscuits on the center glass table.

"No, please," the woman replied, giving a nervous chuckle. "You've already done enough. Plus, we appreciate the kind gesture. No need." She glanced at her husband before returning her gaze to Madam Lee, who simply nodded, delight evident on her face.

First impressions were always important when meeting prospective adoptive parents. Madam Lee had been doing this for years, almost following the same script and persona.

After a brief and comfortable pause, the woman spoke up. "Where is she? Mia, isn't it?" She asked, rubbing her palms together in a soothing manner. She looked up at her husband, who smiled back at her. Finally, they were going to have a child they could call their own. It was a cause for happiness, even a miracle.

As if on cue, the seven-year-old entered the meeting room. Her blonde hair was styled into two pigtails, cascading over her neck. Her eyes sparkled with joy as she walked in, a shy blush gracing her cheeks.

"Hey, pretty," the man cooed, his gaze fixed on Mia. Meanwhile, his wife watched the little girl affectionately, her hands tucked under her chin. She couldn't believe it. After years of being childless, she had taken the brave step of pursuing adoption. Seeing the young girl in her pastel pink dress stirred her heart, with no hint of regret in her mind or heart.

Madam Lee took Mia's wrist and guided her to sit with her on the couch. She widened her smile, taking in the look on Mia's face. "Are you okay, sweetie?" she asked sweetly. The little girl replied, her legs bouncing involuntarily. "Yes."

"That's great," Madam Lee said, glancing at the couple, who observed the interaction between her and the child before returning their gaze to Mia. "Mia, these are your new parents, okay? I want you to be a respectful girl and be obedient to them, alright?" she announced.

Mia's warm blue eyes looked up at the familiar couple, whom she remembered speaking to on a few occasions. She had immediately taken a liking to them. She flashed a small smile at them before nodding at Madam Lee.

Although she didn't fully comprehend what was happening, Mia knew the term 'parents' well enough to understand that she was going to leave the orphanage.

After the couple signed the adoption papers, Madam Lee instructed the seven-year-old to pack her belongings while her parents waited outside. Mia nodded excitedly, her hair tickling her neck as she ran into one of the rooms to retrieve her pre-packed luggage.

In another room, Imarni observed the seven-year-old child held hands with the unfamiliar individuals who had arrived for an adoption. Those "strangers" were Mia's new parents. It felt peculiar to realize that she had never engaged in a conversation with Mia before, except when necessary. From what Imarni understood, Mia held a special place in Madam Lee's heart. Yes, Madam Lee had her favourites, and Imarni was undoubtedly not among them.

With a heavy exhale, Imarni wearily made her way towards her bunk, her steps slow and burdened. Collapsing onto the flawlessly made bed, she sank into its comforting embrace. The nagging ache of uncertainty crept through her joints and limbs, weighing her down. Seeking solace, she gently caressed her tummy, her touch a gentle reassurance against the turmoil within. Her eyes, filled with a mixture of longing and contemplation, focused intently on the wooden surface above her on the upper bunk, as if searching for answers in the grain of the wood.

"She has a new parent," Imarni murmured absentmindedly, her gaze unwavering, not even a single blink interrupting her distant stare.

"Who?" Julie, positioned on the upper bunk, inquired, leaning on her elbow and peering down at Imarni.

"Mia," Imarni replied, her voice tinged with a mix of observation and contemplation. "I saw her leave with a couple." She turned her head to meet Julie's gaze, both of them processing the weight of Imarni's words. "I wonder how it feels."

At that very moment, Imarni's wandering fingers, tracing patterns on her belly, came to rest on the scar nestled on the left side. A deep inhalation filled her lungs, her touch circling the mark as memories and emotions flooded her thoughts.

"You know what?" Julie asked, stepping down from the ladder of the bunk to touch the floor with her feet. Without waiting for Imarni's reply, she exclaimed, "This mood calls for some good food. It's almost time to eat!"

Imarni swiftly leaped out of bed, and just as she did, a small bell rang in the long hallway. The hurried footsteps of the children resonated, filling the ears of the chefs.

"Good morning, ma'am," Imarni and the rest of the children greeted as they settled around the long, rectangular table. Various types of food adorned the surface, their enticing aromas teasing the children's senses. Since the snow had ceased falling, a hint of warmth permeated the atmosphere.