Dione

When Claude emerged from the office, he froze beyond the threshold and gaped at the massive cavern. Larger than life carriages, drawn by the same creatures he saw atop the portico, were scattered along the smooth rock floor. The ceiling had been carved into a dome shaped and studded with lanterns that lit up the whole affair like tiny suns.

People milled around the carriages, filling the air with chatter. Some were dressed in uniforms. Jackets of warm greens, oranges and yellows, with dark grey bottoms. They ranged from as young as Tallis to as old as him.

One of the carriage pulling beasts sidled up to him and snuffled at Claude's bag. Its snout was damp and cool. In some ways it resembled a dog with sleek, lean muscles and long ears that stood up like antlers. This creature towered over him as it sat with its head cocked, one ear up and one ear down and its short silver coat gleaming in the light.

"Uh, hi." Claude cautiously raised a hand and the beast shuffled its paws, claws clicking against the ground. Dark eyes studied him curiously. He sensed no threatening energy, yet his heart still fell to the pit of his gut.

Celesta, who'd progressed far ahead, looked back with a frown. "Don't fall behind." She came back and dragged Claude deeper into the cavern, soliciting stares from curious onlookers. They stopped at a smaller carriage surrounded by women armed with curved swords and spears. The guards eyed Claude warily, dark eyes stark against the band of gold paint across their faces. Their bodies were swathed in black pants and tops that looked as though they were wrapped on their form like bandages.

One of them broke ranks and inclined her head at Celesta. They spoke hurriedly in a tongue he couldn't understand. The guard glanced at him briefly before nodding then opened the carriage door for them to get in. The inside was plush cushioned benches that smelled of honeysuckle.

Celesta stepped in first and patted the bench beside her. "Leave your trunk. My attendants will get it. We have much to discuss." Claude settled in beside her. Outside the guards scrambled around and a moment later, they were moving.

"Forgive my poor manners." She extended a hand. "Celesta."

He shook her hand. "Claude. You know Octavia and Quintus?"

A wry smile crossed her lips. "Something of the sort. They're quite famous around these parts, so you'll have a harder time finding someone who doesn't know them. But more importantly, how do you know them?"

"I was stationed on Hedalda before my resignation. I was there when she saved the island from a strange recurring scourge." He winced as he remembered what Eli did to poor Arietta. "I asked if she or Quintus could help me locate my mother. They told me my best bet was to come here. I understood the risks, but I had no other leads."

Celesta nodded. "I see. You've travelled far. How did you land in Viperstone?"

"I accompanied Amadeus and Undine there to deliver medical aid. It was a scary situation. I'm sure it's all outlined in their message."

She glanced at the canister and nodded. "We've been out of contact with Viperstone for a while. Their last message was troubling to say the least."

"And by "we" you mean the Archives?" he asked. "Are these the Archives?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." She crossed one leg over the next and for the first time, he noticed her feet were bare and adorned with gold chains and rings. "Just wait."

Claude cast his gaze out the window, but all he saw was a grim, dark brown tunnel. All he heard were the loping strides of the beasts pulling the carriage along. He didn't think this woman was leading him to his demise, at least he hoped not, because he had no other choice but to follow her. He was a stranger in unfamiliar territory. A threat even, now that at least two people knew he was a former priest.