Twig's Training

"Twig! Over here!"

   Twist's taunting call drew him away from his prey, leaving it in the middle of Berry Field. The Young-Ones had already finished their training for today, and Twig had gone out to hunt alone with Courage's permission. Twist must be out here to play more jokes on him like she always did. Her, Soot, and Spike were always playing tricks on him. He knew they didn't like him very much, and neither did River and Stone, but at least they treated him with respect. Mist was the only one he truly got along with, he found her blindness very interesting.

"I'm over here Twig!"

   Twist's mew rang through his ears again, making Twig turn around. Where was she? If he found her this time, he could show her not to mess with him anymore. Heather always told him he was going to get big like his father, but Twig didn't believe her. He was the smallest of the Young-Ones, which is what they normally picked on him with. They always said his name suited him, since he would never be as big as a branch. Twig flicked his tail angrily, glancing around him. He missed the Frostclan apprentice's, they were actually fun to be around.

"You can't see me because you're too short!"

    Twig let out a frustrated growl, but remembered to keep his cool. Courage told him that if he wanted to be stronger and better than the rest of them, he couldn't let their words or actions get to him. He was better than that. He shook out his fur and started heading back to his prey. He picked the two mice up and started heading back to camp, ignoring the taunting calls coming from behind him. He trotted until he made it back to the barn, listening to all the voices ringing in the air.

   "There you are," Badger came trotting over to Twig, a friendly aura around him. "You were looking for me?" Twig asked after placing his catches down. "Yeah, all the other apprentice's came back except for you." Twig shook out his fur, "I wanted to catch something on my own, help me get to know myself better." Badger nodded, "I get that. Also, I wanted to know if you and Mist have told each other you like each other yet." What? Twig stared at him confused. Not knowing how to respond to that weird question, Twig tried to move onto a new one. "What about you and Flower? Don't you like her?" "Hey, this was a question for you, not me." The two toms had become friends since the journey, always doing stuff together and messing around. However, this was a weird question. "Who ever told you I like Mist? Or was it another Young-One?" Twig asked. "I just assumed you did, I see the way you look at her," Badger gave him a playful shove.

   Twig brushed him off, "I actually have no idea what you are going on about, Badger." Badger rolled his eyes, "oh come on, you know you do." Twig's face was flat, "no, no I do not." Badger let out a sigh, "fine, but I know you guys will become something one day." Twig grunted, "in your dreams." The two toms trotted towards their normal talking spot, sitting down and shaking dirt out of their fur. "So, how'd your training go today?" Badger asked. Twig shrugged, "like normal. Courage pushed me a bit but I accomplished everything with ease, y'know, like always." "Oh I'm so proud of you," Badger hit Twig's face with his paws. "Are the other Young-Ones still teasing you?" "I don't think they'll ever stop. I mean, Twist was still doing it when I was out by myself! I can't even get some peace and quiet when I go away!" Twig's tail twitched with annoyance. Badger gave him a sympathetic stare, "you just have to show them that you don't care. Just be the best cat you can be." Twig let out a frustrated sigh, "I know I know. It's just annoying."

   "Twig, come here." Courage's call came from across the clearing, and Badger gave him a whisper of good luck before Twig trotted over to the leader. Twig stopped a cat's length away from Courage, curious as to why he was summoned over to him. "I wanted to know if you've seen any, er, ghosts?" Courage whispered. Interest sparked in Twig, "no, not since the battle. Why? Have you?" Courage cleared his throat, then lifted his head, "no I haven't. Thank you though, I just wanted to make sure you were okay." Twig didn't believe him, he could tell Courage was hiding something, he always had this gleam in his eyes when he was hiding something. "Yeah, I'm okay." Courage gave a satisfied nod, "good. You can go back to Badger now. Oh, and remember, don't let the other Young-Ones get under your skin, you're doing great."

   Twig dipped his head, then padded back over to Badger. "That was quick," Badger greeted him. Twig nodded, sitting back down next to his friend. "What did he want to talk about with you?" Twig shrugged, "he was just making sure I wasn't seeing anymore ghost cat things." Badger lifted his head a little bit more, "have you?" Twig shook his head, trying not to let out a bit of amusement when he saw Badger's disappointed face. "Has Courage? Or Olive?" Badger asked. He clearly wanted something interesting to happen. Twig shook his head, "Olive hasn't I don't think, and Courage said he hasn't either." Twig paused, glancing back at Courage who was now chatting with Heather and Storm. "But I don't think he was being completely honest." Interest flicked in Badger's eyes as he leaned closer, "what do you mean?" "I asked Courage if he had been seeing any more ghost cats and he looked taken aback when I asked, like he wasn't ready for it. His answer was weird too, like when you are trying to pretend everything is fine but it isn't."

   "Do you think he is?" Twig thought about it for a moment, turning his head to stare at his leader. "Maybe." "Why wouldn't he just tell you then?" Badger asked. "Maybe he feels awkward being the only one seeing them again," Twig answered simply. Badger nodded, "I wonder what he is seeing though." Twig nodded, "he did say if I train hard enough I would be able to see the world and my life a little differently." Badger tilted his head, "when did he say that?" Twig gave him a small whisper, "at Frostclan." Badger gave him a small nod, "maybe you'll see all the dead cats walking around once you figure out how." Twig stared at Courage once more, "maybe I will."