Duskfeather's Loneliness

Duskfeather grabbed himself a small mouse to eat, his stomach growling. He padded over to the darkest spot in camp and sat himself down, taking a bite out of his mouse. This was the only place he would feel comfortable in, the darkness seemed to engulf him and made him feel at home. The only feelings he felt were hatred for Springstar and guilt and sadness about his family. He had blamed himself for Ivypaw's death, if only he had been there to help him. He was alone now, loneliness had sucked him in and won't let go. He saw light-brown tabby fur padding towards him in the corner of his eye, and he closed his eyes. "Hey, Duskfeather." The mew was soft as always, and the sound of the cat sitting next to him happened nearly everyday. "Hi, Fawngaze," he whispered through a mouthful of mouse. She always came to talk to him everyday, and he assumed it was to try to make him feel better or less alone. She had been like a sister to Ivypaw, since her mother, Snowpool, had fostered him and raised the two together. "How's the mouse?" She asked, trying to start a conversation. "It's okay," Duskfeather answered. He always liked Fawngaze, she was a sweet cat. However, he always felt awkward when she came to talk to him and he could never figure out why.

    She laid next to him, "I went hunting today. Do you want to know how I did?" She always did this too, telling him how her day went. She always did this though, since she became an apprentice. "Sure." "Well, I caught a bird that nearly escaped me," she mewed, "but when I was chasing a rabbit I kind of slipped into a thorn bush. Cloudfall had to help me get out, and it was more embarrassing since Stonepaw was laughing along with Dustwind." Duskfeather nodded, "did it hurt?" "Not too bad, I had to have Specklestone pull one out of my hind leg," "I'm sorry that happened to you," Duskfeather mewed. "Thank you, but it wasn't so bad. It was my first hard laugh in a while," her voice trailed off at the end. Duskfeather felt a pang of sadness, he knew what she meant. "I was wondering if you wanted to go on a hunting patrol with me tomorrow?" She asked, shifted her paws nervously. She did this everyday too, and every single time Duskfeather had come up with an excuse. This time felt different though, "okay, I'll go with you." Her gaze shot up at him, surprise and excitement filling her gaze, "really?" Duskfeather shrugged, "why not? Got nothing else to do." She jumped to her paws and let out an excited squeal like a kit, "oh thank you Duskfeather! You'll have so much fun and we'll catch so much prey!" He couldn't help but let out a small snort of amusement, "we'll see." She let out a loud purr, "I can't wait!" He nodded, "me neither, but for now go hang out with your friends and get tired so you get good sleep tonight." She nodded quickly, "I'll do that. Thank you, Duskfeather!" He gave her another nod, then watched her hop away to Sandwing and Cloudfall.

   She really was a nice cat. Snowpool and Asheyes raised her well. Another wave of sadness crept through him as he thought about raising kits. He wondered how Lionkit and Berrykit would have turned out if they survived their kitting, or even better how all three of his kits would have been if LIttlesong would have made it too. He could never understand why Starclan punished his mate like that, making her die along with two of her kits. He never knew if it was a punishment for her or if Starclan was punishing him, but with how they took Ivypaw, he figured they were punishing him. He still doesn't know what he did wrong though, and he asks himself everyday what he or his family did to deserve what has happened to them. "How are you, Duskfeather?" Hazelfern's mew brought him out of his dark thoughts, surprised when he saw her. The two had grown up together, but they don't ever talk anymore. "Could be better," he whispered, confused when she laid next to him. "I'm sorry about Ivypaw," she whispered. Duskfeather only gave her a small nod, he could never answer a cat who said that, it hurt too much. "I saw that you finally accepted Fawngaze's invitation to go hunting with her." Duskfeather nodded, "I did." "I'm glad to see it," Hazelfern stretched out her left leg, brushing it against his paw, "it's the first time you'd have left camp since the battle. You're healing."

   No, I'm not. "I guess I am," he answered. She gave him a warm gaze, "I'm proud of you." He stared at the rest of the mouse, no longer hungry. "I'm going to go bury this," he whispered, grabbing his mouse. He got to his paws and padded towards the entrance of camp, keeping his gaze fixed in front of him. He trotted over to the prey burial place, digging a hole and dropping the mouse in. After burying it he thanked Starclan for his prey, although the only Starclan cats he was thanking were his family. He was not only angry with Springstar, but all of Starlcan. They ruined his family. He padded back to the entrance, greeted by Hazelfern yet again. "Did you need something?" He asked. She shook her head, "no, I just feel like hanging around you today." What? He stared at her for a second, then shook out his fur and pushed his way back into camp. She wasn't lying, she followed him right back in. He padded back to his spot and lied down, Hazelfern doing the same. A little bit of annoyance was growing inside of him and he flicked his ear to try and get rid of it.