"You two, Clint, Pike, take this body over to the chest."

"Aye, sir." The two men replied bringing the first of their left hands to their right breast. Each tapped their dark cuirass twice, making a double metallic thunking sound. They each grabbed a limb. Clint grabbed the arms and Pike the legs. Each struggled to maintain their grip on his body. Stripped of his armor and after fighting in the spring heat, his body was slick with sweat. His leg slipped from Pike's hands.

"Be careful with him you idiots. He can't die just yet. Even if he cannot open he chest, which he will, he's worth more than both of your lives combined. Drag him, if you need to." Marric said as he rubbed his forehead.

The soldiers continued to drag Ash to the hope chest inside their encampment. Marric rubbed his chin, twisting the hairs of his beard between his fingers, what will I do if he cannot open the chest? He thought to himself. He must, he sealed it after all. If he won't do it willingly...perhaps with the right motivation...

The soldiers returned from their task, "Sir, we placed him by the chest as ordered. I had Pike check over his wounds while I tied him to a nearby post. Nothing looks like it kill him, at least not before dawn. We await your orders sir." Clint said, as he brought his left hand to his chest.

"Bring me the girl." The two soldiers hesitated, "But sir, she's the, she's our...", replied the soldiers.

Marric's eyes trained upon them, "I'm well aware of who she is. Now bring her to me. I didn't have her captured to sit idly in my tent like some doll. She has a purpose here. And, so do you. Unless you don't, in which case..."

The two soldiers snapped to attention "Aye sir, the princess. Bring the princess here, now. Got it."

__________

Farrah heard the clanging of armor as she struggled to untie her hands. They were tied too tightly and too close to the post they had driven into the ground for her to gain any wiggle room. She couldn't raise her hands over her head either. The post stood too tall.

"Princess, you're coming with us," Clint stated as he and Pike entered Marric's tent. The inside was simple, like the rest of the soldiers' tents. His was larger and contained a desk for writing and a few piles of books scattered about the space. He had the same sleeping set up as the rest of the soldiers, a mat and a large fur blanket, his was a large bear, there's was either deer or elk, that was the only difference. The only other difference was that there was a rather tall wooden post sticking out of the middle of the ground with the daughter of their king tied to it.

"If you say so. It would not seem like I'm in any place to argue at the moment" Farrah replied tossing the hair from her green eyes.

"Don't talk back you traitorous bitch," Pike retorted quickly, "Tried to kill your own father and then you go and cozy up with the son of the king who killed your mother. "

"Pike. That's enough. Control yourself. You're a solider." Clint said as he grasped Pike's arm. "What would Commander Gregor think?"

"Kinda hard to think anything when you're dead Clint. Or, did you forget that King Caelen had him killed for failing to find this one?' Pike replied pointing at Farrah.

"No, Pike, I did not forget about that. I also didn't forget that Commander Gregor as loyal as he was to the king, didn't quite buy the story of that night. He always taught us that the simplest explanation is usually the most likely one. The king's story is too complicated and hinges on far too many assumptions. Something bad happened that night. That's for sure, but I don't believe for a second that she would attempt to kill her own parents." Clint said as he made his way behind Farrah.

"Why would the king lie Clint?"

"Pike, you ever think about why some people refer to him as the mad king?' Clint replied as he worked out the first knot in the ropes. "I'm gonna untie this last knot. Make sure she doesn't run out of here. The last thing we want if for that Marric guy to tell the king we lost his daughter."

"Got it." Pike replied,

"And Pike, just focus on the orders. Leave your personal opinions for when we're off duty. Don't forget what the commander taught us."

"Aye, Pike. I will. Let's get this over with. I need a drink." Pike replied as he grabbed Farrah by the hood of her cloak.

Farrah's head jerked at the pull of her cloak, but Pike. It sent her back to that night. Her head had jerked in just the same way as her father pulled her close to him. She shuddered at the memory. "You talk about my father as if he was some kind of saint. I assure you, Pike was it...He's not even close."

Clint untied the last knot, "Get up. Let's go princess. Commander Marric wants to speak with you." Clint said as he nodded to Pike. A nod that Farrah understood meant for him to be ready in case she decided to run. She didn't. Marric, she thought to herself. Wasn't that the name of the man who sent Ash to kill the dragon in the forest? Her train of thought was interrupted as her face met Pike's shoulder. The pain was sharp and hot. She shook her head. She stumbled, but caught her composure. Her jaw set still and her eyes became small and focused on Pike.

"What the hell happened?" Clint asked.

"I leaned in to help her up and I guess she must have come up too fast. I guess princesses growing up in privilege don't have my experience in dealing with men of arms and their armor." Pike replied as a tiny thin smile spread across his face.

"Sure it did. Just, make sure you're more aware of her inability to judge such things from now on Pike. As a man of arms, you yourself should be more careful," Clint said as he slipped his arm around Farrah's waist, "You okay princess?" He whispered softly. She nodded. They all walked out of the tent to where Marric was waiting.