"If he won't open the chest, find me the boy. Find me Euan." Marric commanded the soldiers. "Keep an eye on the girl Pike. Clint, go find some men to search the town and bring me the boy." Marric said as he glared at Ash, his face awash with the dancing shadows cast by the fire.

Ash blinked in his surroundings. The world was fuzzy and distant. He heard Marric barking orders to his men to find Euan. Ash smiled inwardly, they'll never find him, he thought to himself, but he'll find them when he's ready. He could feel the fire against his skin. He could see the world in only faded orange and black. I need to wait. I need to think this time before I act. I need to be less foolish, Ash thought as he remembered the evening spent with Euan after slaying the dragon.

"Do you know how to make fire?" Euan asked as sat across the fire from Ash. Puzzled by the question Ash motioned with a look at the fire burning between them.

"Yes." Ash said.

Euan, smirked at his response. "That's right Marric is the one who knows magic. You just kill things for him." Euan said eyeing Ash carefully.

"I-" Ash, began angrily, but stopped himself to take a breath, "As far as I know only those of the Order of Clerics can use magic, and even of those few, not all can, only a select few among them can actually use magic."

Euan sat for a moment contemplating his response, "Yes, and no. Yes...and...no...You see Ash, everyone is connected to the forces of magic. Magic runs through all things. But, not everyone has the ability to manipulate it. And, even among those who do, that ability varies greatly. Dreams are a kind of magic, as is love, and even intuition is a kind of magic. Every being here, now, that ever was, and will ever be experiences these forms of magic. But, to most reactionary they are . They are things that happens to them; things, they themselves cannot explain nor command. It is not just those of the Order of Clerics who can use magic, Ash. Many more can, they just don't know how to do so. You can. You were just never taught."

Ash stared into the fire, rubbing his face in the palms of his hands, "You make my head ache." He paused "I can use magic?" he asked.

Euan smiled a sly smile, "Indeed, ye can young man, your family is quite adept at it in fact. Comes from your father's side it does. Neither he, nor his father ever learned to harness it. Or it seems, ever knew they could, but it was there. The ability...is...there. Ye will not be at Marric's level because he has been studying for many years. But, I can teach ye to summon fire. That is always a helpful skill to have." Euan said, looking almost ancient in that moment as the flames cast their shadows across his childlike face.

Ash wondered what it would be like to be able to use magic. He wondered how and more importantly why, if his family could use magic, they didn't.

"If you are willing to teach me Euan. I am willing to learn. In the short time I've known you you've made me realize there is a lot I do not know. And, now if you are correct, there is more to my family than I thought."

Euan, stared into the fire momentarily, "More than ye know, indeed. Come, let us begin. Taping into it isn't difficult. Controlling it is. Come sit in front of me near the fire."

Ash did as Euan said. And then both he and the boy who was a boy in appearance only sat facing one another. Euan extended his hands, palms facing up.

"Place ye hands in mine." Euan said.

Ash placed his hands, palm facing down onto Euan's.

"Good, now, close your eyes and feel the fire beside you. Focus all of your attention on it. Become aware of the way it devours the air around it. The way it dances as it weaves through the wood, feeding on it. Feel its heat."