Chapter 1 - unexpected

This day - May 21, 2017 - would soon prove to be one day out of many that would change Scott Hoying and Mitch Grassi's lives forever.

The morning started out simply as any other that came before it. A soft, mellow smile soon stretched its way across Mitch Grassi's delicately featured face. But the smile was quick to fade as a frown soon grew in its place. Suddenly feeling rather vulnerable, Mitch's frown only deepened when he lazily rolled over in bed and found the space next to him was empty.

This past year had been nothing short of a dream come true for both men. What had first started as an inseparable friendship built on years of trust and chemistry soon blossomed into a deep and passionate love that seemed to consume the couple to their very cores. Amber brown eyes flickered closed as the smaller male's body seemed to melt back into the crisp sheets. Mitch could not believe that after all of this time, Scott was finally - well and truly - his and the young tenor could not be happier.

The smell of bacon and coffee wafting into the bedroom from the kitchen was enough to startle Mitch from his reverie, grounding him back to reality. But his thoughts were once more brought to a screeching halt when he heard a gruff but gently familiar baritone purr into his ear, Scott's scruff tickling against Mitch's cheek.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." Scott cooed, his voice still thick and heavy with sleep, an indication that he had woken up not long before Mitch. Finally building the courage to open his eyes once more, a sharp inhale seemed to squeeze from Mitch's throat as he was met with the sight of piercing blue eyes staring warmly down into his own. Unbeknownst to him, however, this was going to be the last time Mitch would look into the eyes of his lover for quite some time.

A contented but weary sigh sprung from Mitch's lips as he grabbed at Scott, his hands wrapping around the taller blonde's waist, his face nuzzled into the crook of Scott's neck. The blonde couldn't help the fond chuckle that escaped his chest as he pressed a warm kiss to his lover's forehead.

"Were you cooking breakfast without me again, Scotty ?" Mitch teased, his tone light and playful, his eyes sparkling. This elicited another chuckle from Scott as the blonde found himself running his fingers through the smaller male's hair.

"No, of course not. What makes you think that ?" Scott drawled in response, barely suppressing an eye roll. However, it did not go unnoticed by Mitch, who rewarded him with a smack - or rather, a punch - to the blonde's muscular forearm.

"Shut up. Smartass.." Mitch whined, his lower lip pouting out as he scooted away from Scott, angling his body away from his lover. This abrupt change in behavior caused Scott's features to pinch together with concern. "Mitchie ... I'm only teasing you."

"Yeah, yeah. Just kiss me, you goof." Mitch quipped, raising an eyebrow at the taller male. Scott's face flushed with relief as he eagerly closed the gap between them, his lips desperately seeking reassurance that only Mitch could provide. After a few moments, the couple finally broke apart, smiles heavy on their swollen lips.

"Come on. We better get up. We can't remain in bed all day." Scott said after a few moments of contented silence passed between the two men. Pushing himself up to a standing position, the taller male offered his hand to Mitch, who eagerly accepted it. Once both men were standing, Mitch wrapped his arms tightly around his lover's waist, his face pressed into Scott's chest. "You're the best, Scottie. Thank you.."

Scott's heart swelled with pride at the nickname as he twisted his head so he could look at the smaller man that was nestled perfectly in his arms. Almost as if they were made to fit together. "Always, my love.." The blonde whispered as he pressed another soft kiss to Mitch's forehead.

And with that, Scott and Mitch were in the beginning of their version of hallelujah.