Chapter 2

Five months later

"They're gaining on us!" Tanis yelled as he tried to get the TIE fighters in his sights. Adira maneuvered the ship around the buildings while Gaamik quickly set a course for Coruscant. "Gaamik get ready to make the jump to hyperspace" Adira said calmly. Gaamik looked at her with a concerned expression but did as he was told. Adira took a sharp left turn around a tall building, causing Gaamik to yell out in fear. "abbgrr grrbgh!" He said, his arms flailing around dramatically. "I'm not gonna crash. I know what I'm doing Gaamik. Just shut up and be ready to make the jump to hyperspace" Adira said as she made another sharp left turn.

Adira set the ship down on the landing platform and instructed the boys to begin shutting it down. She made her way to the cargo hold and began loading the crates she planned to sell. She pushed the button that opens the ship's door and began walking down the ramp. As she reached the end of the ramp she heard something rustling around near the garbage. Adira stopped in her tracks and put her hand over her blaster. She left the crates behind as she stepped closer to the sound to investigate. She reached some empty fruit crates and carefully peered over them to see what was causing the commotion. Suddenly, a Tooka jumped up at her and before it could attack her, Adira took hold of it and threw it to the side. She pulled out her blaster and fired warning shots near it, and It jumped up and ran away in fear.  She turned her attention back toward the empty crates, and with her blaster in her hands, kicked the remaining boxes to the side. She quickly raised her blaster to scare the remaining Tooka away but what she saw caused her to slowly put her blaster away. She kneeled and slowly took the baby Tooka into her arms. It was no more than 4 months old. The Tooka whimpered as Adira picked it up, and upon further examination, Adira discovered that the older Tooka must have hurt this young one to take its food. She gently rubbed the Tooka's head, and upon feeling her touch, the young cat like creature purred at her. She sighed deeply and said "alright little one, looks like you need someone to look after you".

"GAAMIK!" Tanis roared as he angrily made his way to the cockpit holding an empty bowl in his hand. "Did you eat this?" He said as he threw the bowl at Gaamik. The wookie yelps in fear and says something that roughly translates to "you weren't going to eat it, so I ate it for you". Tanis balls his fists by his side and before he could get a word in, both of their com links started flashing. Gaamik taps his and hears Adira say " Gaamik?" "Tanis?" They both respond in approval and she explains the situation to them. They run down to the cargo hold and open the ramp to find their friend with an injured baby Tooka in her hands. "I found her by some empty crates" Adira said as the Tooka jumped up and licked her face. Adira chuckled and said " Her name is Eevie, and she's our newest crew member".

Adira took Eevie to the med bay on the ship and began cleaning her wound. Eevie looked at her happily and Adira gave her a warm smile. "The boys will get used to you eventually" she said as she wrapped gauze around the Tooka's leg. "They've never had a pet before. Attachment was forbidden in the Jedi temple" she continued, "and well, everyone always gets attached to pets". Eevie looked down at her leg curiously. "There", said Adira "that should do it. Now let's find you something to eat".