chapter 1

Maya

I reflect on the facade I've put up piece by piece the last three years.

I stare at the cutter in my hands, which I so want to bring close to my nerves. What if do give into my impulsive thoughts?

What will that change? All I do is, wake up, go to work, come home, eat, and sleep. And not to forget to act. Act that I'm happy with everything. Same thing every day, for days which seem never ending.

How can Maya Kapoor be unhappy? She's got everything. I am the miracle child of the Kapoor family. I am the self-made billionaire of one of the biggest construction companies in India. How can I be unhappy?

Well, that's my life. And nothing can be done about it

I was wallowing in my thoughts when my phone rang. It was my best friend Amara. I picked it up and the second I heard her cheerful voice, a smile crept on my face. "Hi Maya, tell me you didn't forget about our date", she yelled and oh shit we had a nail appointment. shit shit shit. "Amara im really sorr-" she cut me off and said "Oh please, you're still working right?" she said, fake gagging and i could imagine her doing air quotes, "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU TO USE AN APP CALLED REMINDERS TO FRICKING SET SOME REMINDERS MAYA" she yelled

"I'm really sorry ill be there just give me 5 minutes"

Saying that I told my P.A that I was leaving and asked her to call my car.

Amara is very special to me, she's like a sister from another mother. She's been there for me forever. I always feel like I'm worth something when I'm around her. Sometimes I feel like she's too good for me, which she truly is. I have no clue about how many times I've forgotten about our girls' dayouts and dinner dates and whatnot. She is the only person who's seen the real me. The one who cried herself to bed in college, the one who fangirled over this one guy in school, the one who threw up after getting too high. She's seen all of me. She's one of the only reasons I'm holding on.

And soon my drivers called for me and dropped me off while Amara pulled me in for a bone-crushing hug. God, I missed her.

Rayan

I was standing on the edge of the building's rooftop. Contemplating the decision to jump off and redeem myself from this life. If I jumped, I would probably drown and die. So, that is what I did. I jumped. The water surrounded my body. I was drenched suddenly. My body was gasping for air and here I was, pushing myself to stay down. I almost lost all conscience when I heard my sister's voice?

"Rayan uth ja" (Rayan wake up)

"Kani ja na" (Kani leave know)

"uth ja tera alarm sun sun ke pagal ho chuki hu, rat gayi hai teri alarm ki beat uth ja yaar"

(Wake up, I'm going crazy because of your alarm, your alarm beat has been imprinted in my brain, wake up please)

And then I was drenched again, but this time for real? Before I could collect myself, Kani poured a bucket of water on me. I pushed her away and ran to the restroom. Kani is the light of my life. She makes me feel alive. At the end of the day, she is my sister, my only one and no matter how annoying she is, I love her. even though I pretend to hate her. She doesn't need to know that.

Today, I have a meeting with the board members. How I hate the company that I once strived to build. This company has brought me to experience emotions I never had. Grief, regret, despair.

Anyways, a smile that once brought me compliments. is just a smile. All my life, I've been nothing but someone to be proud of, so why am I not proud of myself? What is it that is yet left to accomplish?