'til we met again ┊10

I deftly tied my hair in small buns on the side of my face

I deftly tied my hair in small buns on the side of my face. Between my teeth, a hair tie dangled. I was never one for exotic hairstyles, actually when I went to school I always wore my hair down, my locks falling down my shoulders to my waist; at least once I started elementary school.

My mom was the one who used to do my hair; as she mentioned more than once— she liked the idea that I was her little doll to dress up.

Until today, at this point I had no idea of hairstyles. Beyond the classic ponytail or braids, I've never had a clue of doing hairstyles. But this occasion merited dressing up and preparing an impeccable impression, or at least I gave it that credit.

Finishing tying up my hair, I started to let some strands of my twin buns loose. Which as they fell to the side of my head, framed my face giving a neatly disheveled look. Looking closely at my reflection in the dressing table mirror, I could feel my mind begin to disperse from reality. Even if my body was still static. Strangely at that moment a feeling of overthinking flooded me; however the only thing my mind could process was nothing. All blank.

I couldn't even understand it myself. How your blank mind over thinks when there is exactly nothing in it.

Even if I tried to concentrate, nothing. Not even nerves or anxiety. It was like being emotionally paralyzed. Please, not now.

"Chizu?" In the distance I could hear someone calling me. I could not distinguish the voice, nor its presence. My body would not give in even if my mind tried hard to make it wake up.

A hand gently held my face. At the same time, a hand on my shoulder held me. As if my eyes had come out of the trance in which my own reflection induced them, I made out Yuzuki's worried face a few inches away. "You zoomed out." Trying to ease the moment, a choked laugh came from my throat. "I must be nervous, you know," fidgeting with my hands down in my lap I turned my eyes to the mirror. "I tend to overthink at times like this."

She mumbled something inaudible to my ears and dragging a chair, she settled down next to me. Both boys and I were in the room that the organizer of the event had given for each band that was going to perform tonight. At least it had a dresser, a couch that could fit two people— three if they squeezed in. And a hanger where we had left our stuff while we got ready.