taking him home (shane x reader)

"I'm so sorry," Shane looks up at the farmer with a clenched jaw and glazed eyes, ready to spill over with tears. He feels stupid for even talking to her, for feeling like this, for dragging people down with him every single time he did anything. "I'm sorry, Y/N. You shouldn't have to be here... I-I'm so sorry I'm such a burden. I only disappoint everyone. All of you would be better off with me gone, and I-"

She wordlessly reaches forward to pull him into her, enveloping the man in an embrace and allowing him to cry into her shoulder. Something within him breaks loose and his body racks violently with heavy sobs and hiccups. The farmer has never seen him like this before. She looks around at the empty beer cans scattered carelessly around his limp form, and her heart splits painfully in two.

"I don't feel real right now," Shane says, lip quivering. "I can't explain it, my whole body feels numb and cold, and I'm scared, Y/N. I didn't mean to do this. I didn't mean it. Please don't go, please, please don't leave me." His head is pounding and he's a blubbering mess now. He doesn't even have the capacity to process what he's saying right now, the words are just pouring out before he can filter anything. His breath keeps catching in his throat and he starts gasping frantically for air.

"I know," she whispers in a soothing voice, stroking his hair gently. She doesn't know exactly what to do, only knowing that she wants Shane to be okay. "It's okay. I'm here with you. I want you here. I'll stay here."

Without even realizing it, Shane grasps her hand and presses it against his wet cheek in an act of gratitude. He focuses on her steady heartbeat and tries to calm down so he can sync his own unsteady breaths with her full ones. He stops hyperventilating eventually. The two sit in silence for a while, listening to the sounds of the night breeze rippling through the river and pine trees. 

"Let me take you home, okay?"

It's late and dark and cold. He hadn't noticed how cold it was but now realized the both of them were shivering. He agrees shakily. He'll have to do his best to open the front door quietly and carefully maneuver the creaky, wooden floorboards so as not to wake Jas. 

She helps him up and gently guides him up through the Cindersap Forest. At first, Shane thinks she's taking him back to his house - Marnie's house, he corrects himself - but she passes right by it and walks up the path to the old farmhouse.

Her home.

He doesn't protest.

The farmer unlocks the door with ease and the pair kick off their muddy shoes by the entrance. She helps Shane take off his ratty blue JojaMart hoodie and welcomes him into her abode, ushering him into the bedroom and flicking on the lights. She kindly pours him a glass of cold water and leaves it on the bedside table with two little aspirin tablets.

Without a second thought, Shane takes off his shirt and pants, leaving only a pair of navy boxers on underneath. After popping the aspirin into his mouth and taking a large gulp of water, he wearily enters the bed, making himself comfortable under the thick strawberry plaid duvet. It's heaven when Shane finally lets his pounding head fall upon the soft pillows. 

He's a bit taken aback when he feels another body get into the bed next to him just minutes later, the bed shifting under the weight of two. 

He hadn't thought about this being her bed.

On second thought, he was stupid - obviously, it smelled just like the farmer; sweet like cherries and soft lilies, a little woodsy, a little musky. Of course. No wonder he'd felt so comfortable getting into it. He's so distracted by the scent and the sudden warm feeling in his chest that he almost doesn't hear her voice. "This okay?"