honorary flower queen (haley x reader)

"Honestly? I'm getting sooo bored with the Flower Dance. I used to love being the flower queen so much, but every year, it's the same thing," Haley rolls her blue eyes, pursing her lips bitterly. "Like, sometimes I feel like I'll talk to people there and it's the same conversation every single time. Marnie's tired of being single even though we all know Lewis is fucking her. Nasty Clint wants to dance with my sister but no way in hell will I ever let him near her. Pierre's there at his stall selling the same musty Rarecrow... like, obviously we don't want it. Nobody's bought anything from him at the flower dance for years. Ugh!"

You nod and stifle a laugh at her dramatics, walking hand-in-hand with the blonde."Well, you're beautiful," you tell her, pausing to tuck a loose tress of golden hair behind her ear, and she blushes a little. "I love how worked up you're getting about this."

"I love you," She kisses your cheek. "I wish you'd moved here earlier, before we all paired up. We could have been dance partners or something. It might almost make it all a little more bearable."

The two of you traipse through the Cindersap Forest and make it over the bridge. Everyone greets you both and compliments Haley on how good she looks as the flower queen. This doesn't surprise you. Sure, you might be a little biased but Haley was easily the most stunning person in town.

The blonde girl smiles brilliantly and thanks each and every one of them politely, but her cheerful face drops into one of disdain when you've both made it through. "Ugh!" She exclaims again. "It's all the same again. I wish I could, like, give up my spot or something."

Your gaze lands on a little girl across the field.

"Wait, why don't you?"

Haley looks at you, then follows your line of sight to see Jas, who is running around with Vincent but stops every now and then to gaze longingly at the girls in their white dresses. "Oh..." She pretends to protest a little, but her stubborn face gives way to an inspired grin and she rushes over to the small black haired child standing with Vincent.

"Hi, honey," she says, removing the floral crown from her head and placing it on Jas. "I think it's about time for me to step off the throne. How would you like to be flower queen this year?"

"W-what?" Jas looks at the blonde girl eagerly, wide-eyed. "Do you really mean it?"

Haley kneels down to meet Jas' eye. "I really do. You've seen everyone do the flower dance for a few years now, right? I've seen you out of the corner of my eye every year, you dance along! You have it down pat, Jas! Do you think you can remember all of the moves?"

Jas nods quickly, her little mouth agape almost in a state of shock. She seems to ponder it all a bit, but then her face falls. "But I- I don't wanna mess it all up."

The blonde lets out a melodic laugh. "You won't mess it up, honey! I'll go over it with you. We can go practice it over by the entrance until it's all perfect, okay?"

Jas is visibly ecstatic. Haley quickly looks over at you, almost asking for your approval, and you press a quick kiss to her lips. She beams, and her gaze lingers on you before the pair shuffle off to practice the dance in privacy. You think it's adorable, hearing Haley sing through the melody and call out the moves from afar.

You mingle with the other townsfolk for a while, enjoying the spring festivities. You even help yourself to a slice of jelly on rye and a few sips of the strawberry wine you brought.

When Lewis announces the beginning of the Flower Dance, you can't believe it when Haley returns and taps Alex on the shoulder. "You're gonna sit this one out, okay?"

Alex is more than happy to oblige, ditching the dance in favour of a can of beer and a safe place on the sidelines.

You look on, shocked, as Haley takes a spot in the boys' line between a gaping Shane and Sam. She looks over at them, unbothered, and then winks playfully at Jas, who surprises everyone by scampering into the center spot. You notice that the child is now wearing a dab of Haley's lip gloss and a gentle sweep of her glittery pink blush.

For a second, Jas seems frozen, too nervous to move a muscle. But she looks around, meeting the eyes of familiar faces - and the people of Pelican Town are surprised, but more than happy to cheer on the little girl. She looks up next to her and sees Miss Penny, who is grinning and nodding with pride.

She looks across the line and sees her godfather, who quickly drops his sullen demeanor and bends down to give her a quick high-five.

Her aunt Marnie's eyes are filled with tears. "That's my girl up there," She bellows to no one in particular. "That's my girl!"

"Go Jas!" Vincent's voice cuts through the crowd.

Lastly, she looks up at her new friend Haley, who is all smiles and sparkles. Jas had watched jealously as the pretty blonde took the center spot every year, all of the townsfolk praising her as the flower queen. She had danced along with the girls from the sidelines, copying the moves and wishing desperately to be one of them.

And here she was! The flower queen, and the center spot, and everything!

Haley reaches down to adjust the crown perfectly atop the child's head, and then straightens herself up to prepare for the dance. "You can do it, Jas," she whispers. "I know you can. I'll be right here, okay?"

The flower dance is flawless, and little Jas does not miss a beat. Only the sharpest of eyes would have noticed Haley's glossy lips mouthing the steps, and the gentle tilt of her head to remind Jas which arm to raise.

The townspeople explode into hoots and hollers for the little girl. Everyone can't help but break into cheers and smiles, but no one more than Jas herself. "I did it! I really did it!" She bobs up and down with glee, one hand tightly holding the flower crown in place on her head.

Haley bounds over to scoop her up for a hug. Before she knows it, Jas is lifted high into the air and spun around. "My flower queen!"

Later at home, you wrap Haley in your arms and kiss her all over. The fridge door is open and you're heating up some milk for late night hot chocolates.

"I feel really happy," she confesses, her face practically glowing with joy. "Jas was so cute up there. And so good. We practiced so hard, and she got everything! It was like, meant to be, you know?"

When you moved to Pelican Town, Haley had been nothing but icy. You weren't sure what to make of the girl and her cold shoulder. She would greet you reluctantly if you were visiting Emily for tea at 2 Willow Lane, ignore you completely if she were taking photos by the river, and whisper behind your back to Alex at the ice cream stand if you were passing by. Most of the townspeople had told the farmer to just brush her off, telling her that Haley was 'just like that' and to not take her prickly behaviour to heart.

But now at midnight, watching the gorgeous blonde girl twirl around the kitchen in the refrigerator light in an oversized T-shirt and no pants, goofily humming the Flower Dance melody, reaching for you with open arms and giggling like a lunatic, not a care in the world... you saw her.