The Transformation Has Begun

Soon after Charlie woke me up, I threw some frozen chocolate waffles into the toaster and poured him a glass of milk. He ate quickly so he could open his presents. He got some cool new toys, but I think his favorite is a chair-looking thing made out of three skateboards with handles on either side called a "Rad Board." I made him wait to open my gift last. I hand him the box and he quickly pulls the top off, reaching inside. He pulls out an ornament with a picture of us eating ice cream printed on the front. "Wow! This is so cool. Thanks Y/n!" He smiles and tackles me with a hug.

As we're hugging, Scott comes back inside and plops himself on the couch, exhaling deeply. Charlie walks up to him, "Are you okay, Dad?"

"Yeah. Just fine, just fine," He responds.

"Are you having a heart attack? I know CPR."

"No, I was just..." He pauses and looks at his pajamas, "S.C."

"Yeah, Santa Clause. Hey. Same initials as your name, Dad. Scott Calvin," He traces the 'S' and 'C' on his father's shirt. The doorbell rings and Charlie runs to answer the door.

'Santa Clause? Did we all have a shared dream or something? I know it has happened in books and movies, but not usually in real life...' I think. I quickly meet Charlie and Laura at the front door.

"Oh, Charlie! Merry Christmas, honey. Did you have a good time?" Laura questions.

"Great time! The best!" He starts collecting his things but joins his parents' conversation, "Judy gave them to you."

"Judy. Really," She turns to Scott.

"Who?" Scott wonders.

"Up at the North Pole," Charlie clarifies.

"Ah. One of Santa's little helpers," Laura jokes.

"Last night, Dad, Y/n, and me went with the flying reindeer. It was really neat, Mom. Dad was Santa, and Larry showed me the workshop. You know, where they make all the toys? And Bernard was kinda mean to Y/n."

My eyes widen at his retelling, 'Was it really a dream at all? There's no way I just dreamed all that. If it was a dream, how could Charlie and I remember it so vividly? I rarely remember my dreams.'

"Gee, thanks for keeping his feet on the ground," Laura sarcastically replies.

"You bet."

I help Charlie carry his presents to the car. Moments later, Scott rushes outside with Charlie's "Rad Board."

"About what you said in the house...Who showed you the workshop?"

"The elf," Charlie answers.

"How'd I get the pajamas?"

"I told you. Judy."

"Oh, wait, wait. Judy was the name of the waitress at the restaurant last night."

Laura looks at Scott like he's insane, "Some waitress gave you pajamas?"

Neal looks confused, "What's this all about?"

"Dad took me to the North Pole, and Larry showed me the workshop," Charlie explains.

It's Neal's turn to look at Scott like he's gone mental, "The North Pole!"

"Yeah. Dad's the new Santa. The regular Santa fell off the roof and Dad put on the suit."

"Charlie, we'll discus this at home," Neal states. Neal and Laura share a chuckle before her goes to start the car. Laura walks around Scott to get in the passenger side.

"The clause. The Santa Clause," Scott mumbles, "It's just a dream. Stuff like that doesn't happen. It was a dream. Come on! I don't even wear pajamas. Normally I sleep naked. Buck naked! Ha!"

My eyes widen at his confession, 'I think he forgot that I was here.'  A woman and her child briskly walk past.

"Morning, Mrs. McGloin. Mary Catherine," he turns to me to say something, but closes his mouth and quietly walks back inside.

~~~

It's been about a week since Christmas. I still haven't seen Charlie because his first day back at school is the 4th of January. Sadly, I still need a source of income, so I have been working extra shifts at a little bookstore cafe in town. Today was an easy day, I only have an hour left of my shift and we haven't had many customers.

At one point, I see a vaguely familiar figure out of the corner of my eye, but as I turn to look, it disappears. I furrow my brows before beginning to scratch the tips of my ears. 'Why are my ears suddenly so itchy?'

~~~

It has now been two weeks since Christmas. The unknown figure has been mysteriously popping up everywhere and I am beginning to question my sanity. My itchy ears have been getting worse. Fearing an allergic reaction, I made a doctor's appointment; she just gave me anti-itch cream. I have been using the cream religiously, but it has no effect.

~~~

Charlie has a soccer game today and he wants me there to cheer him on. I enter the bathroom to take a shower and glance into the mirror before letting out a scream. "What the f-," I stop myself, touching my ears. 'They're coming to a point...What the heck is going on?' I take a shower and get dressed before deciding to add a beanie to hide my ears.

~~~

"Go Charlie! Woo! You got this Char!" I make sure Charlie knows he has my full support.

As Laura and Neal arrive, I send them a smile and a wave, but their focus is elsewhere. I follow their gazes and my eyes land on Scott. 'Is that Scott? My gosh. Either he is really into this role or  he really is becoming Santa. I wonder if  my ears are an effect from going to the North Pole...' 

I don't hear their conversation, but I can tell it's not going well. Charlie runs over to the three adults, before Laura grabs his arm and drags him to the car. I send Laura a questioning look, but she ignores it. I take one look at Scott to see his distraught expression. I decided it would be best for me to leave.

~~~

I walk to Scott's house to ask him about his new appearance and see multiple delivery trucks. I offer to give them a hand and they accept. I help them carry the rest of the red boxes into his house. Scott comes down the stairs freshly shaven, and whistles as he sees the stacks of boxes. He looks around at the boxes and then at me. I shrug my shoulders at him and hand him the envelope.

He tears it open to see a letter that reads,

Here's the list check it Twice! 

Yours, B.

"It's the list!" He exclaims. He opens the first box and I peer over to see a list of 'A' names. He quickly rushes out the door and chases the delivery trucks. Finally, he gives back and comes inside.

"Scott, I don't think your 'dream' was a dream. I remember everything Charlie said and more," I confess.

"Not you, too, Y/n. It was a dream, that is all it was. It was not real!"

"It is real! Look at yourself! Look at me!" I tug my hat off, revealing my pointed ears.

Scott gasps at my ears, but shakes his head, "No, I don't believe it. You should see a doctor, though."

I give up trying to make him believe and go home instead.

(1168 Words)

Woohoo! Second chapter out just as planned! I will try to push out the next chapter either tomorrow or the next day. Let me know if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes, so I can fix them. Anyways, thank you for reading!