Impenetrable fortress☆

Kinger has a breakdown and won't leave his impenetrable fortress.
₊˚⊹ִ ࣪𖤐⋆˙⟡
[3rd person pov]

Kinger has been skiddish and unstable for a long time. But the last adventure really seemed to take a toll on him. Caine thought it would be nice for everyone to try playing a game of chess, which is innocent enough, right? That's what he thought too.

Jax, however, saw it as an opportunity to make some snarky remark. Kinger was playing against Pomni, and managed to capture her queen.
"Hah! Got your queen" he yelled, proud of himself.

Jax piped in. "You need it after yours abstracted, huh hoo-hah?". The rest of the cast fell silent. They all knew what had happened to Queenie, though Pomni only knew it as history.

Kinger stopped. He set the piece down, as gently as his twitching hands could. The usually loud man remained silent, and walked off. Pomni went to follow him but Ragatha grabbed her arm. "It might be best to leave him be for now."

It's been.. a while since then. Time is strange in the digital realm, but the sun has fallen 3 times since then. They've tried to get Kinger out, they really have.

First was Pomni, right after the adventure was over. "Uh, Kinger?" She lightly moved one of the pillows of the fortress, and was met with a yelp and a swift hand moving it back in place. She mumbled a quick "Sorry" and left him be.

The next morning, she returned with Ragatha. "Kinger, you gotta come out. You've been in there a while." They were simply met with silence.

The day after that, Zooble, gangle, and even jax all gave a shot at trying to get him out. They decided to leave him to come back on his own, and it's now day 3 of Kinger's hiding. Caine just finished another adventure with the cast, and puts bubble in charge of their reward.

While everyone's distracted, he sneaks off and looks around, quickly finding the fortress kinger's been holed up in. He floats down, softly thumping on the ground as he lands, hearing a startled sound from the mass of pillows.

"Kinger? It's Caine.." he slowly walks towards the fortress, and Kinger pushes a few pillows to the side and peers out. He's, normal. Normal for him that is. "May I come in?" Caine asks, crouching down.

Kinger blinks, but then moves aside. "Come in!" Caine crawls his way into the fort, noting the weirdly large interior. He clears his throat, not knowing what to say.

"So, you've uh, been in here for a while?" He says, watching as Kinger sits down, looking to the side. "I-I suppose I have. I lose track of time easily you know!" Caine shuffles closer to the man, looking up at him.

"Are you alright? Pomni and the others recounted what happened. With jax and all." Caine pauses a second."You.. miss her, right?"

Kinger stares at him for a minute, before tears start welling up in his eyes.

"Oh! Kinger I'm so sorry I wasn't- i didn't mean to make you cry!"

Kinger covers his eyes with his disembodied hands and just sobs. Caine panics, trying to think of something, anything to help.

Desperate, he jumps forward and wraps his arms around Kinger. This startles the chess piece, but he doesn't pull away. He just wraps his hands around Caine's back, sending shivers up his spine.

They sit there in silence for a while. After all, what really needs to be said?

₊˚⊹ִ ࣪𖤐⋆˙⟡
Something short, since it's been a while since I've written and I'm rusty.