• Chapter Two • Mysteries at Moonstone •

Cortez sat in his dorm room, patiently waiting for the arrival of his new roommate. Thoughts raced through his mind, wondering what kind of person he would be sharing the living space with. Would they be friendly and easygoing, like a good companion? Or perhaps, much to Cortez's dismay, it would turn out to be someone like Ellis, someone rude and unpleasant.

As the door swung open, revealing the figure entering the room, Cortez couldn't help but react with disbelief. "You have got to be kidding me," the natural blond haired Elf muttered. There, standing in the doorway was none other than Ellis.  "Must you go everywhere I go?"

With a touch of sarcasm, Ellis retorted, "Yeah, right. Like I would waste my precious time following you around, Blackwell." Cortez rolled his eyes as sat up straight as he noticed another guy trailing behind Ellis, entering the room alongside him.

"I see you two have met, Mrs Lewis personally assigned you two to share the room, I'm one of the Rune Student Parents you'll meet the others eventually, my name is Grayson Santiago, you can talk to me about your problems and worries but do not get in trouble."

Cortez found the Rune Student parent quite attractive. He had a beautiful sun-kissed brown skin tone, striking yellow eyes, and neatly kept short brown hair.

Grayson's voice broke the silence as he cautioned the two boys, "Okay, let's try not to destroy any furniture or spill blood. It's a nightmare to clean." Both boys exchanged glances, unsure of how to respond, while Grayson maintained an unwavering gaze.

Before Grayson could continue, a sudden loud bang echoed through the dormitory, startling everyone present. The noise was quickly followed by a lot of feminine screams, confusing everyone since the boys' and girls' dormitories were located on opposite sides of the school. Laughter, unmistakably from teenage boys who had already traversed the stage of puberty, echoed in the aftermath of the screams. The situation seemed utterly nonsensical, leaving everyone puzzled by the unexpected commotion.

"I told the older Runes to not follow that stupid tradition, I will say this now, you two will have to watch out or else the older runes will get to you both" Grayson warned them before he left to go check up on the other younger runes who clearly fallen victim of the tradition that was meant for new runes.

"Well don't let the door hit you on the way out when you go ask to transfer rooms" Cortez said as he laid back down, he was going to continue reading his book. Ellis just gave him a look, "what are you talking about? This is my room, you have to leave" Ellis stated as he walked over to the other empty side. Cortez lowered his book, "no if I remember correctly, I was here first-you should get your eyes checked, I'm sure they have a spell for that after all you do come from quite the family right." Cortez spoke as he looked at Ellis, Ellis looked back at him as he put his luggage down.

"And what do you know of my family?" Ellis asked, his eyebrows scrunched up as he was curious, but concerned with what Cortez knew. Cortez has a remaining grin but shrugged, " I don't know anything about your family, I'm simply trying to read my book" Cortez responded as he looked back at his book. Ellis just looked back at his luggage, he cast a simple spell to unpack his clothes in the dresser and closet, it made Cortez scoff. Why couldn't he simply put his clothes away without magic? Was he that lazy?

"What now, Blackwell?" Ellis asked as he turned around to look at the annoying brown haired boy. "Nothing, nothing at all" Cortez said, "it's just, I'm surprised that the stuck up family is lazy" Cortez added as he looked at the annoyed blond boy. Cortez just watched as Ellis's face expression just seemed as if he was more annoyed now.

"My family is not lazy or stuck up, we have only lived the honest way any Elf could-any real Elves could live" Ellis stated, he stepped closer to Cortez's side. Cortez looked at him, what did he mean by any Real Elf?