• Chapter Three • Shadowcrawlers •

Cortez was speaking with Zuk, they were discussing what to do when they find her. Who is the master of the Shadowcrawler? Cortez knew that disclosing it could potentially lead to unforeseen complications, ones he preferred to avoid dealing with.

Zuk suddenly stopped which Cortez also did, he looked in front of him. They were near a cave opening, it had this white mist coming from it "we aren't able to enter, I hope you understand" Zuk spoke, he explained the reasoning to why they couldn't enter the cave.

"Yes, but do you know if humans are allowed to cross?" Cortez asked, Zuk shrugged. "We aren't sure, you are the first humans we have talked too" he honestly responded. Cortez nodded, his three other friends started bickering who should go in, or if they should just leave.

As Cortez walked towards the mist, Robyn's voice called out, calling his name in a desperate attempt to stop him from proceeding further into the cave. However, Cortez remained resolute and extended his hand into the mist, half-expecting something ominous to occur. To his surprise, nothing happened. Doubt crept into his mind, causing him to question the veracity of the Rock people's claims.

"It's okay..." Cortez mumbled before he fully submerged his body into the mist. "Yeah it's safe!" He called out to his friends, it didn't take them long to also walk into the mist.

"It smells strange in here," Rolim pointed out, and Telma nodded in agreement. Undeterred, the four of them continued deeper into the cave. However, their progress was abruptly interrupted when Robyn let out a piercing scream. Alarmed, Telma and the others rushed to Robyn's side. "What's wrong?" Telma asked urgently, concern traced on their faces. They followed Robyn's gaze and quickly discovered the source of his distress—a humanoid figure made entirely of rock, completely frozen in place like a lifeless statue.

Telma's hand flew up to cover her mouth, a mix of surprise and sorrow washing over her. The tetrad, now comprehending the reason behind the Rock people's inability to enter the cave, felt a profound sense of sadness. It became painfully clear that any Rock person who dared to touch the mist would meet a tragic fate. Cortez couldn't help but wonder if there were other Rock individuals trapped within the depths of the cave.

"Let's continue going in," Cortez told the others. Robyn, feeling a sense of protection with Cortez, chose to stay close by his side, while Telma and Rolim formed their own tight-knit duo. As they ventured deeper into the cave, they stumbled upon these unique carvings on the walls, unlike anything they had ever seen before, although it seemed so familiar to Cortez he brushed it off.

"Wha-" Cortez instinctively leaned against the wall, he pulled Robyn along with him. Telma and Rolim, sensing the urgency, quickly followed along, leaning against the rough cave wall. Suddenly, they heard a voice echoing through the cave. Cortez cautiously peaked around the corner, his gaze fixated on two mysterious figures. Both individuals were cloaked, their facial features concealed beneath masks or coverings. They were looking for where the noise came from but could not find anything.

"You must be hearing things again you idiot" the taller figure said, "no but I did this time" "quit speaking back to me you filthy beast!" The feminine voice echoed through the cave.

It sent a chilling sensation down each of their bodies.

The tetrad waited until they knew for certain that the people left, Cortez took the lead to enter the room. They began to look around the room, trying to find out what was causing the mist or some kind of clue to where Zuk's sister was. Suddenly, a faint whimper pierced through the silence, it echoed throughout the cave. Robyn, Rolim, and Telma turned their gaze toward Cortez, their eyes filled with concern.

Cortez was the first one to move, the three others followed him, they were soon met in another room. They were met with a huge cage, Cortez put his hand up. He began to think of light, his hand glowed, it was like his hand was a torch, brightening up the cave room.