Prologue

I hear rustling outside my window.

I freeze in terror as someone slowly pushes the glass up and enters my room. I flutter my eyes open but can't make out what his face looks like. I do notice, however, that he is very, very tall and there is no chance of my escape from this man.

Suddenly, as if he senses my eyes on him, he turns towards me. I can't move. He's going to kill me and my family. I need to do something. Anything. But then—

"I'm not here to hurt you, Sunshine."

My eyes widen in surprise, and he prowls even closer to where I lay in my bed. I suddenly become aware that I chose tonight to wear a pair of shorts from middle school and an old tattered shirt without a bra under it. I pull my comforter further up to cover my chest.

"Don't be afraid of me, love. I'll take care of you." And then he's kissing me, and I'm kissing him back, and I'm confused and hot and needy. His large, calloused hand drifts under my T-Shirt. I gasp when his finger brushes under my breast, only to moan in the same breath as he pinches my nipple.

"Who are you?" I ask, although a part of me doesn't care as long as his hands continue to roam my body.

"I'm yours, Sunshine," he says into my ear. The fact that he avoids an actual answer doesn't elude me, but I can feel his hot breath on my neck now. I want him to keep touching me, to keep kissing me.

All remnants of confusion and doubt leave my mind once more when his fingers begin to play under my waistband. Only a little lower...

Suddenly, someone is calling my name, and I feel him slipping away. "No, don't leave," I hear myself say breathlessly. But he's already gone.