chapter 5

Maya

As soon as my alarm went off, I got out of bed, because I hadn't even slept. Back then, eight years ago, I would spend endless nights fantasizing about Rayan. But now, eight years later, I wonder about what could have been. It's strange how things change over time, how situations change, yet the people we think about remain the same. I couldn't even remember a single day when I woke up and chose to focus on myself, other than brainstorming ways to impress Rayan. it's so embarrassing to admit, but what's even more embarrassing is that I don't regret any of it.

God, I need to stop. He has a someone. What if he's madly and love with her and preparing the most magical proposal to ask her to marry him? You're supposed to be a girls girl. Not someone who fantasizes about other girls' men. 

Maybe that someone is his mom, or best friend, but I don't know the way he said it, suggested that it was rather a female. Brushing my thoughts aside, I got dressed for work. I wore a tight-fitted button-up green shirt, white trousers, a tote bag, and heels.

* * *

I sat in my car and drove to the office. What scares me at the moment is that a part of my heart is still in love with Rayan and that part is excited to go to work today just to see him. Like I once did for school. 

My assistant greeted me and told me the schedule for the day. I noticed beautiful pink tulips kept on my desk, my favorite flowers. Was it from Rayan? No of course not.

There was no note and then my assistant interrupted me, "Mam Mr Sharma dropped off those flowers earlier this morning"

"Oh okay." I paused. Alia almost left my cabin when I called for her and said "Uh Alia, Get me an iced latte please" She was confused because I asked her as if she had a choice to deny my request but she's a person too right? it doesn't hurt to say please.

Rayan

I peel my eyes open as I remember last night. Apartment, sex, half-american. 

God someone send help. My head is throbbing but I have to get to work. Today is the first day I have to settle into the CORE Builders office. 

I get out of bed as i shove a piece of toast in my mouth and make a run for my car. I got in and started to drive as my phone rang, it was my mom. I picked up and a manly voice spoke from the other end, what?

"Hi Rayan, it's your dad- "

"Dad. Is everything okay? is mom okay? why are you using her phone?" I asked. Mom has a chronic heart disease and according to my past experiences, Dad only uses Mom's phone when something bad happens.

"Bete, tension na le. I dropped my phone in the pool, aaj subah. Jhanvi ne chawal mein dala hai" (Beta, don't freak out. I dropped my phone in the pool, this morning. Jhanvi has put it in rice)

"Tikh hai phir kya hua?" (Okay but what happened?)

"Anniversary pe mammy ko kya gift du?" (What should I give to your mom on our anniversary?)

"Papaaa khud socho yaar bye" (Daddddd think about it yourself bye)

"Kal shaam ko yaad se aa jana" (You better come tomorrow)

"Haan love you bye"

No matter how hard life gets, I'll never stop loving my family and letting them know how much I love them, except my sister.

* * *

My car screeches against the pavement, and I step out fixing my blazer. I see some people standing near the entrance with large smiles plastered on their faces which makes me automatically smile back at them.