loverboy

You had no idea how short or long you'd slept when you woke up, what you did know was that you were laying on someone's lap, and their hand was resting on your shoulder. The show had also stopped at some point, your streaming service pausing it to ask if you were still watching. You weren't. The sky was a blend of pink and orange through the window, so you couldn't have been out too long. Sitting up slow so as not to hurt your head, you soon made eye contact with a content Steve.

"You're alive," he teased.

"You're still here," you lazily smiled.

"Where else would I go?"

You rubbed your eyes then said, "Thank you. For earlier, for everything."

"Bare minimum," he downplayed his manners and consideration. Before you could chime in and tell him that just because how he reacted to your drunken shenanigans should be standard didn't mean it was, he asked, "So you're feeling better, then? Clear headed again?"

Your throat felt coated with sand, you could certainly do with some water, but otherwise you felt pretty alright. "Yeah, I think I definitely learned my lesson this time. Drinking is not for me."

"Glad to hear it," he nodded, looking away from you for only a second. "Two more questions."

"Yeah?"

"The things you were saying earlier," he intertwined his fingers together and looked at you, head tilted. "Do you remember them?"

You combed through the memories of earlier tonight, when you were not in your right state of mind. Exact words weren't coming back to you, but you remembered the jist of what you were doing. And trying to do.

"Sort of," you answered, cringing.

"And what you do remember," a split second of a smile was on his face, then faltered before he asked, "did you mean any of it?"

You shifted awkwardly in your seat. To that question you could only nod, embarrassed of your inebriated self for having come on so strong.

"Alright," he turned his face from you. "Well then, I guess I lied."

"Lied?"

"I actually have one more question."

"Go for it," you invited.

He faced you again, "Can I kiss you now?"

Without moving a muscle you inhaled sharply, never taking your eyes from him face. You contemplated shortly; you did find him attractive, and Eddie was off the table. What more was there to lose?

Steve looked at you like as if you were the most fragile thing in the world, and it had you instantly blushing as you responded with one small nod. He was closing the distance between you two slower than Eddie did when he had kissed you, but still brought one hand up to the right side of your face. Your nervous lips were mere centimeters apart when Aunt Juniper's custom ringtone played through the room. The buzz against your leg and alarming sound made you jump.

"S-Sorry," you pulled back from Steve and stood from the couch, ringing phone in hand. "I should make sure everything's okay."

Steve shut his eyes and pressed his lips into a line but said nothing, leaning back on the couch to absent mindedly click Next Episode. You made sure you were out of earshot before answering your phone call.

"Yeah what's up?"

"Everything okay over there?" Your aunt's voice asked on the line. You could heard murmuring crowds in the background, and honking cars.

"Yeah? Why wouldn't it be?"

"Your loverboy said he's been blowing up your phone all day and you haven't said a thing. I know I left you with that big ass bottle, so I was just checking in. Honestly I thought you would've invited him over."

You blushed at the thought, then had to clarify, "Eddie?"

"Is there another?" she playfully replied.

You glanced to where Steve sat alone on the couch, "Uh, no." You cupped your hand around the mouthpiece then, "Is he alright, did something happen?"

"No he's okay," she answered, and your heart returned to its normal pace. "Just worried about you or something. Said he wanted to drop by to bring you a latte; what a guy."

Your stomach instantly dropped to your feet. No no no, you could not have him and Steve here at the same time. You had to act fast. "Oh okay, perfect," you paced anxiously back over to the couch. "I have to go."

"Hey, no baby maki--" you cut her sentence off by ending the call.

By the time Steve saw your face again, he seemed to immediately know something was up, and stood to soothingly take your shoulders. "Everything okay?"

"Yes," you lied, looking around frantically. "But you have to go." You slid your hands quickly from his elbows to his hands, so you could grab one and lead him to the door. He politely protested the whole way. You got a text then, but it would have to wait.

"Wait hey woah, is this because of the kiss thing?" The hurt in his voice made you pause.

"No," you replied honestly. "I just... my aunt is coming back sooner than expected, and she doesn't know I had anyone over. That's all." You were getting disturbingly quick at lying.

"Sneaky girl," Steve smirked, finally allowing you to open the door. "I like it."

You offered a fake laugh, "Uh huh. Alright, see you la--"

"Wait," his hand stopped the door from closing on him yet. "When can I see you again?"

"Tomorrow," you blurted. You had to say whatever would get him out of here the fastest. "Maybe."

He seemed on the edge of acceptance, but you had to push him over the fence. There was no more time for objections. You stepped one foot forward onto your toes to give him a quick peck on the cheek, and his practically heart shaped eyes were the last thing you saw as you shut the door with a tiny wave. Finally, you could check your phone.

Seven unread texts from Eddie, the last of which being the buzz you'd received moments ago.

Eddie, 1m ago
sorry, i wont bother you anymore after this. i know juniper is out and was gonna bring you a latte and maybe hang. then i saw steve's car. i got it now. see u around y/n