Devonian

EXT. EURAMERICA

Edmund wakes on a muddy lake shore, the unfamiliar discomfort of dehydration beating onto him.

EDMUND: Fuck!

The newly formed Tiktaalik frantically pushes himself into the water.

EDMUND: What the fuck was that? Where's my sister?

The mud beneath Edmund rises, morphing into Nature's silhouette.

NATURE: You didn't warp from the spacial coordinates. Ergo, you reappeared in the exact positions as you left.

Nature feels Edmund's rage atop her neck.

EDMUND: Take me to her.

NATURE: I can only change your temporal position... This may be breaking the rules, but... Stand on shore and look to the ocean.

Nature's body melts away. Sighing, Edmund pulls himself onto land and stares to the blue expanse in the distance.

BEGIN MONTAGE:

Edmund hops determinedly from waterway to waterway through a tropical swamp.Days later, Edmund wearily hops across a sun bleached beach.Weeks later, Edmund wearily swims through a vast reef, asking other animals for the whereabouts of an apex predator.

END MONTAGE:

???: I heard one of yous' was lookin' for me!

The reef's fauna scatters around Edmund. A CLADOSELACHE peers down.

CLADOSELACHE: Imma rip your fins off and snort them, see?

A gigantic shadow materializes behind the Cladoselache.

EDMUND: Dude...

CLADOSELACHE: Don't fucking 'dude' me, you little-

The massive jaws of a Dunkleosteus clamp down on the Cladosalache, splattering carnage everywhere.

EDA: ...You're welcome, Eddy.

Eda swims away.

EDMUND: I'm sorry!

EDA: It's a little late for that.

Edmund swims after her.

EDMUND: When our parents were taken, I-I hated myself for being too weak to-

Eda stops swimming.

EDMUND: All I see in myself now is an insignificant little pest. I became so controlled by what I wasn't, I-I didn't realize that my family was still alive...

Edmund sobs uncontrollably. Eda swims back to Edmund and clasps him in her fins.

EDA: Apology accepted.

EDMUND: I wanna beat this... need. For you

Eda pulls the reset button from Edmund's fins.

EDA: Then let's start over.

Eda presses the button.

FADE TO GREEN