Promotion

"Fluids are taking well. Temperature is stabilising."

Soft beeps could be heard. They felt distant.

"I'm tired." Vora's voice was a quiet buzz, rattling her head.

"I'd imagine so, your body was using a lot of energy to keep you warm out there. What were you thinking?"

The beeps were louder, closer.

With a gasp, Vora shot up.

Kenar was right there to push her back down again.

She was in the medical bay but looking at it from a different perspective then she was used to.
She was the patient; covered in a warm blanket and an IV connected her to a saline pouch, stabilising her blood pressure. A medical droid leaned over her for a moment to check her eyes before moving away, remarking that all was well.

Kenar smiled at her, relieved. This quickly shifted into a frown, complimented with furrowing of his bushy ginger eyebrows.
"What were you thinking? Going outside with no coat and no radio is unlike you."

"Exactly." Vora pointed, her voice was returning to its usual volume, scratchy sounding from being dried out by the harsh Ilum air. "I was cast out by Commander Kill-all."

Kenar's frown formed into an expression of shock. He looked around to make sure that no one else had heard Vora and shuffled his seat closer to her.
"I'm so sorry Vora, that's awful. You were just caring for people, and you've been hurt for it. You're a great person."
He passed her a cup of water and assisted her as she took a sip.

"When you put it like that I can't disagree." She laughed softly before reaching out for another sip of water to calm the scratchy feeling in her throat.

"We had you in the bacta tank for a few hours and then brought you out here. Your body was so cold, Vora. I thought I was going to get frostbite just from touching you!"
Ah, the trusty bacta tank. The ultimate healer. The First Order was very stingy about who got to use the bacta tank and when. Vora supposed that she got to have the privilege of it due to being an important part of the medical team and, in that, keeping people alive.

She let her team take care of her for a while longer before heading back to her room and resting. Kenar brought her some food from the canteen to have in her room and promised to check in on her every few hours.

Vora lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling and though about Commander Ren. Unfortunately, I'm alive. Looks like you've once again failed to simply kill a subordinate. She thought. According to recent trends, she figured she was due to die soon, unless she was valuable for the force. There was no denying that she wanted to learn more. She wanted to learn everything. If that was offered to her, maybe she'd take it.

There was a knock on Vora's door. She hesitated, wondering if it was Commander Ren. Kenar had been cleared to enter her room with an authorised key, so it wasn't him.
Would Commander Ren knock?
It seemed to patient and polite.
She walked over slowly and opened the door to a messenger droid. She wondered what the droid thought of her unprofessional appearance as she answered the door. Her hair was a mess and her blanket was wrapped around her like a dysfunctional cape.

"MT-3. Report to the command center at 0500."
"Acknowledged." Vora answered.
The droid spun around and whizzed off to inform the messenger it was received and affirmed.
After the droid left, Vora went to her bedside and sent an alarm for 0400 so she could have time to dress and fix her hair before reporting to the command center. She had an early night.

-x-

When Vora arrived at the command center she had no idea where to go. Her eyes drew her to the spot where she had tended to the command center worker only days before. She hesitated and then walked into the middle of the room. Many eyes trailed on her, seemingly disrupted by her daring to enter the space of the privileged central control workers.
A glum looking man emerged from a room and approached her with a clipboard.
"MT-3?" He checked, "You are expected in meeting room 2."
She nodded and headed towards the room.