Chapter Two: Return to the Capitol

It was to be no easy feat returning to the capitol as a couple. Coriolanus knew that, but he thought it would help the people of Panem regain trust in him if they knew the real reason he had to cheat in the games was to protect the love of his life Lucy Gray. He would no longer be viewed as the man who was following in his father's doomed footsteps. But a man of heart, honor and morality. Maybe if nothing else...he would preach Sejanus Pilth's story as a way to make penance and so he would not be forgotten in history. 

Coriolanus had yet to admit to himself that he was entirely responsible for his best friend's death. But Lucy Gray knew and although it was a harsh cruel thing for her to face, that the love of her life was capable of that...she understood what survival looked like. In fact she couldn't deny thoughts of putting Jessep out of his misery in the games, he was suffering from rabies. Had she not been so pure of heart then..had she not taken on what she was starting to consider wasted morals. She wouldn't have had to watch him suffer a brutal and cruel death etched in her memory forever.

Coriolanus and Lucy Gray were not as opposite as they appeared to be...the more time they spent together, their ideals began to match up in ways I don't think either of them imagined. "Do you believe we will cause attention when we return to the capitol?" Lucy Gray asked Coriolanus as they packed up the cabin, sharing potato soup one final time before their departure back to Coriolanus' home.

"Well to say we wouldn't...would be a lie. But I believe Sejanus' death and my unfortunate willingness to participate in it...may muddy the waters with any dismay the capitol might have about you." He said to her finally admitting she was right about Sejanus. Lucy Gray looked at him in dismay, she believed prior to this she was going to have to live with Coriolanus never telling her the truth. But also as casually as he would ask her about the songs she was writing, he admitted it. Trust...was turning into love and Lucy Gray couldn't deny how giddy it made her to have Coriolanus trust her and only her. Their union was powerful and it would bring the tides of change with it. But Lucy Gray knew the war had just begun and more blood was likely to be shed. She believed in her heart though that Coriolanus would end up on top for the right reasons. Not of malice and dismay but of heart and his development of a moral compass.

"I believe you thought you had no other choice. When you realize you are the prey, you so quickly learn to be the predator." Lucy Gray spoke as she looked in Corio's eyes. He nodded forming a half smile. He couldn't deny that every time he spoke he was looking for approval of his statement in Lucy Gray's eyes. And time and time again she proved to honor that thought. That's not to say he didn't enjoy being challenged, he did that's why he loved Lucy Gray. She was the perfect mix of a world of possibilities he didn't know existed. He knew of order, respect and punishment. But he was learning trust, forgiveness and compromise. Traits he didn't believe until now would make him an even more unstoppable leader.

That night they took the train back to the Capitol and were greeted by Tigris and Grand'mam at the station. "Corio! I have missed you!" Tigris greeted him jumping into his arms. While Grand'mam approached Lucy Gray and gave her a solemn hug. She whispered in her ear words Lucy Gray would not forget.

"I understand what it took for you to turn your back on the district. Your loyalty to the Capitol will not be forgotten. My grandson sees a fire in you, I believe I now see it too. Be careful girl, seeds of change are usually pucked out at the first sign of root here." Grand'mam whispered.

Lucy Gray nodded because it wasn't that she didn't agree with what Grand'mam was saying it was that she understood she had to..for now. She smiled politely and nodded. "Seeds need to be watered mam, and I do believe Coriolanus has sent water to me in the past...and will do it again." She said as Grand'mam nodded. She was at a loss of words but at the same time Lucy Gray felt a respect fall over her. One unlike anything she'd received before. 

"We moved into a new building in the Capitol, Dr. Gaul insisted for your act of bravery." Tigris whispered to Coriolanus. He nodded solemnly.

"Do you believe everyone knows it was me who sent the jabber jay back to the capitol?" Coriolanus asked beginning to show guilt across his perfect porcelain face. Lucy Gray couldn't describe the feeling but it made her feel uncomfortable and weak watching Corio suffer. She didn't want him to feel guilt, even though what he had admitted to doing was terrible. She knew he was left with fight or flight. If anyone had found out about his and Sejanus' conversation he would've hung with him. A reality Lucy Gray would refuse to imagine any further. 

"I believe Dr. Gaul told the Plinth's you did everything you could to help him." Tigris said.

"And I believe that is brutal truth." Lucy Gray interrupted. Coriolanus couldn't help but still remain shocked at Lucy Gray's loyalty. He smiled at her and reached out for her hand. 

"Let's unpack at the apartment, then I have a few errands to run. I have to see Dr. Gaul and unfortunately give my condolences to the Pilth's." Corio sighed.

"I'd like to see the Plinth's with you. If that's alright." Lucy Gray asked waiting for Coriolanus to turn her down. He nodded in agreement instead.

"A united front would look more polished." Coriolanus' statement came out cold but Lucy Gray could see it was a fasade he showed only for Grand'mam. She decided that night before bed she would talk to Corio about her conversation with Grand'mam. She wanted to hear his opinion because it truly mattered to her. While Lucy Gray waited for Coriolanus to return from his meeting with Dr. Gaul, Tigris and her got better acquainted over some sketches of clothes Tigris wanted to make for her.

"You and Corio will be presented at the Panem District banquet this year. We will have to come up with something truly remarkable for you." Tigris smiled as she took Lucy Gray's measurements.

"Why thank you, I've never had anyone make anything for me before, all my clothes you see were my mother's or hand-me-downs given to me from the covey." Lucy Gray said as she ran her hands through Tigris' fabric collection.

"I was so happy when I heard Corio was bringing you home. You see what I see him in him. He may look like his father but his heart...is not stone. Not when he looks at you anyway. I see...he gave you this. It's the last thing he had from his mother." Tigris said pointing to the shall Lucy Gray had draped over her. 

"Yes, still smells just like roses." Lucy Gray smiled proudly bringing the garment up to her face. 

"I believe love has the power to change people, what about you Lucy Gray?" Tigris asked. 

"I believe love can be bought...it's trust that has the power to change." Lucy Gray said back to her. Tigris sat there enamored for a second as she looked at Lucy Gray Baird, the girl who would soon be wed to the future leader of Panem. She was going to change the tides.