The Awaking

I open my eyes, slowly I sit up. Ms. Millie and David are hovered next to me, one on either side of my bed, "I had the weirdest dr-", I start but the events of the night quickly roll back to me at once. I remember everything. I remember the nightmares. I remember Zander. I remember Sally. I remember the mean girls. I remember the blood, all of it. I remember mom, what I did to her. I remember Mary, the martyr. I remember how she gave her life to try and fix mine. "It didn't work," I say barely a whisper.

"What?," Mom says worry plastered on her face.

"It! Didn't! Work!" I shout, my anger allowing me to clearly punctuate each syllable, "I should be dead!", continue to shout things along these lines until I'm crying, mom now holding me I'm an embrace.

"It's ok Tessa. It's ok," mom try's to calmly say to me.

"No! It's not ok!" I shout and she hugs me tighter. I give up and say in a half sob, half whisper, "Mary, and so many others, are dead because of me. I don't deserve to be alive."

"Honey it's not your fault, There was nothing you could do," she plants a kiss on the top of my head, pushing me lightly back down to the bed, "just get some sleep sweety. It will help, we'll talk later." She gets up and walks to the door, "I'm just making some tea, I'm not leaving," she says seeing my frightened face.

I nod and she walks out. I turn my body so I'm now facing David. He's sitting on the floor looking at me, "hello."

He smiles slightly, "hey. I'm glad your awake, I was worried," he gets up and moves a pillow over on the bed, "do you mind?" He points to the other half of the bed in front of me.

"No," I shuffle backwards to give him more room to stay. He lays down and I notice he is in pajamas, "how long have I been out?"

"Not long actually, I just had to change, my clothing was all wet from the sea water," he says calmly, not to frighten me more. "How do you feel?"

"I feel great, aside from being a little sleepy." I notice now how he really looks. His hair is tousled, still damp. There are deep bags under his eyes like he hasn't slept for weeks. His eyes lack their usual bright cleverness, now they are dull and clouded. He's drained. "David, your beyond drained, How much did you use your gift?"

He looks at me, "Its fine, I'm just tired, I'll be recharged in the morning. Let's get some sleep shall we?"

I nod and lay my head against his stomach. He flinches but doesn't say anything, "what happened?"

He looks away, "nothing. I'm fine."

"David," I say as I put my hand where my head had been. He flinches again, fists clench, "show me."

"Fine," he slowly lifts up his pajama shirt to revel a big white bandage over his left side.

My hand comes to my mouth, "what happened?"

"Just a scratch," he says averting his eyes.

I stare at him and slowly remove his bandage, just the corner but it's enough to see the wound. Five lines, run down his side, a scratch. "How did this happen?"

He sighs, "we were outside of Ms. Millie's office, me and Mary, hiding from what was going on. She heard you enter the office and wanted to go after you. I told her how you weren't you, but she thought she could change it. I tried to stop her and she did this to me. Smart too, enough to almost take my life, to render me useless for a while. Im sorry Tessa."

I nod, sealing his bandage back, "no David, I'm the one that's sorry. I caused this all."

"It's ok, we don't blame you Tessa. We blame Zander, he gave you the blood. He brainwashed you. We know you are good."

"I wish I believed that," I say softly.

He gets up, pulling the covers over me, and kissing my forehead, "sleep now, Tessa. I'll talk to you in the morning. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," I say and I let the darkness take me.

Hey! I hoped you liked this chapter! Stick around for more to come later! Have a good one! Ps, do me a favor and: LIKE, COMMENT, VOTE :)