Chapter 1 part 3

I left the property and found the lady by the side of the road at the bottom of the drive

I left the property and found the lady by the side of the road at the bottom of the drive. She got in the passenger side of the car. "Where's Burt?" "He will meet us at home." I could see that was all I was getting and directed the old car towards her house. She looked around the interior of the car and shook her head at it. Is she unimpressed by this old thing? I don't blame her.

Following the road away from Edith's House, the turning for the next house was at least a mile up the road that ran out of the small town. I turned up the road and to my surprise it was smooth and freshly tarmacked. This road twisted and turned through the forest for longer than I thought it should have. Finally the house came in to view. It wasn't anything special to look at.

It wasn't a massive house for someone with enough money to buy that much land. It was a very standard holiday type house with one bedroom on the first floor that was common in this aria. The place didn't look like it had been rebuilt or even refurbished. It was a carbon copy of Edith's house except Edith's place looked like it had been worked on recently.

I stopped near the older model Volvo that was there. I saw Burt come running to the passenger side and jump up at the lady as she stepped out. She hugged him until he got down. I got out of the car as Burt danced around her.

She walked towards the door to her home. I followed her inside and was struck by the amount of books. Nearly every wall had bookcases that where over flowing with books. I could see books stacked neatly with other books stacked haphazardly in front of them. Except one.

A small non descript bookshelf stood in the corner that didn't have books piled up in front of the neatly stacked ones. It was neat and tidy. It looked like she had run out of space to put the bookshelf's but kept buying books. The one bookshelf that was neat seemed populated with one authors books. She was drawing attention to it by not stacking the books that sat on the floor next to one of the two armchairs on those shelves. The shelves that had the books stacked in front of others where all made with the same wood but that one small bookshelf was painted white.

"You have a lot of book's." She turned to me then looked at the shelf's except the little one that was neat. Odd why would she miss that shelf with her eyes? "I like reading." She walked in to the kitchen, leaving me alone with Burt. He watched me from an arm chair, which was obviously his. I looked over the books on the shelf's closest to me. An odd mix of horror and philosophy books. Another book shelf held psychology and fantasy book's. why would you stack these genres together?

There where no ornaments on any of the surfaces. Only books. I walked around the small living room. There was nothing to tell me what this person liked. No photographs, or paintings. No items of value at all. Just book's and a clock on the wall above a small wooden table with two chairs tucked under it. Next to Burt's chair was a small plastic crate that had Burt's toys in.

All in all the place seemed soulless. It was as if she was deliberately making the place as blank as she could and If Janna had told me she had only just moved I would have believed it. I wonder if up stairs is the same. I stopped in front of the small bookshelf that was neat. This was the only hint as to what she liked or had an interest in.