Chapter One

Every single moment I've had intense bad luck can undoubtedly be counted on one hand

Every single moment I've had intense bad luck can undoubtedly be counted on one hand. From the very moment I was born, it was like God had been paving the way for me. Things just seemed to fall into my lap whether it be grades, awards, money, or whatever. I had been walking down an obstacle free path.

But as the saying goes: the higher they rise, the harder they fall. And I fell like a bomb.

Everything started a solid week ago.

All it took was seven days for my life to completely go up in flames. My ten year long career is now in the garbage. Why? Because of a scandal that is nonexistent. Because of a few pictures - clearly photoshopped - that have appeared out of nowhere. In reality, it wasn't out of nowhere and they didn't just mysteriously turn up. The unfortunate truth is that these photos were planted by my stupid ass husband.

Jameson Hargrove is a natural born piece of shit.

Though for the last five years of our marriage I thought we had a happy life. Despite his less than stellar reputation, I had decided to take a chance on him. Here we are, ages later and he's plotted my demise. A couple fake photos and he sheds a few tears at a press conference and I've become a bonafide villain. From America's Sweetheart to nothing overnight has caused me to flee from my comfortable home.

That's why if someone had told me five years ago that I'd be freefalling off a cliff, I'd have told them to shove it up their ass. Furthermore, if they'd have said that my husband would betray me... well, maybe I'd believe that bit. Humans are greedy creatures, no doubt about that.

My issue is not that Jameson planted faulty evidence of a supposed affair that I was having. It's not even that everyone has turned on me in the blink of an eye. My problem is that my vehicle is currently sliding down a cliff because now just had to be the moment for a rockslide. Each bump and tumble against the side of this mountain is causing my head to smack against either the wheel or headrest.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I grit my teeth before opening my mouth. "Dear Lord, I am so sorry for taking this wonderful life for granted. I've lived well for the past thirty years. Everything was a breeze and I'm so sorry for becoming arrogant. If you allow me to survive this," I take a deep breath before continuing, "I promise to live as a better person. I'll donate to charity, adopt a bunch of kids, and feed people. I don't know, but please let me live!"

The scenery passes in a blur and I'm not able to tell how near to the end I am. Squeezing my hands together and clenching my eyes closed, I hold my breath. What feels like an eternity passes by before I feel the car finally colliding with the hard ground. In an unbelievable moment of slow motion, I feel the vehicle smashing and crushing my legs. Something feels like it ruptures in my body and my head is forcefully pushed to the side. It collides with the window which somehow hadn't broken with the fall. Though as it meets my skull, the glass gives way, allowing for my cranium to break through.

And just like that, I've lost consciousness and maybe even my life.

***

It's anticlimactic, the way I open my eyes and glance to the side. There are only vast fields of nothing, but the sky is clear and beautiful, and there's a light breeze. Sitting up, I look behind me to the large tree that looks as if it's been standing for a millenia. If this is heaven, I hope I have made it to the afterlife and get to witness this for an eternity.