Chapter Sixteen

The next night at dinner, I have my child next to me on one side while Lussios sits at the head of the table

The next night at dinner, I have my child next to me on one side while Lussios sits at the head of the table. I haven't said much to his all day. Most of that is because he's been busy, but even during breakfast, my lips were closed tight. He didn't join us for lunch which I was both grateful for and sad about. Now at dinner, I remain silent once again. Though the squeals of the happy child next to me makes me smile nonstop as I feed him his dinner.

I wish I had known a little earlier... but why do I feel that way? Lussios really doesn't owe me anything, especially after saving my life, delivering my baby, and now giving me a beautiful place to stay. Maybe I shouldn't be so damn hard on myself. If Lussios hadn't told me, how was I supposed to know that he's actually the ruler of this kingdom? It would have been nice to know. My track record with royalty isn't exactly impressive. But again, I had already guessed this much.

Lussios sighs loudly. Then he turns to me and already, his face is apologetic. An awkward smile rests on his lips while his hands are held up in defense as if I'll throw a punch any second.

"Chrysanthy... it was not my intention to hurt you while concealing my identity," Lussios says, pressing a hand to his chest. "It was also not my intention to even hide who I am from you. Things just turned out this way and I didn't think it was a big deal to reveal who I am before everything had a chance to settle down."

Pressing my lips into a tight line, I feed the hungry baby next to me another bite. "I don't know why I'm upset, Lussios. I'm not entitled to know what you don't want me to know. I'm just being childish... you've already helped me so much. In fact, I should be getting ready to pack me and Saiya up and find somewhere-"

The armchair lands on the shiny hardwood with a loud clatter. In one step, Lussios is next to me and leaning on the ground. He grips my chair, turning it with brute force. My eyes widen and my head juts back as we come face to face. He grabs my hands in a tight hold, but not enough to be painful.

"I don't want you to leave... Neither of you." Lussios stares into my eyes and his face is hard, showing me his sincerity without his usual calm smile in sight.

"Why?" My voice comes out in a whisper.

The familiar smile appears on Lussios' lips like a rainbow appearing after heavy rain. Before I know it, his warm hands are on my cheeks, his thumbs rubbing up and down on my skin. I can take my gaze away from his golden eyes that seem to glow even in the somewhat dim lighting of the dining room.

"Why?" I try again after this pause feels like five minutes have passed when it's probably only been thirty seconds.

Lussios dons a look of confusion for a split second, but the smile never leaves. "I think I'm in love with you."

A sharp breath is sucked in. Is there any rhyme or reason to this development? I've just been confessed to and I'm swelling. Butterflies in my stomach, a fast beating heart, sweaty palms, and so much happiness I think I might burst.