Chapter 1: Desolation

Portland, Oregon. 3 months later: October

I lay in my bed listening to the sound of crickets fill the air as the warm wind flows through the open window, making my curtains flow in the direction of the wind. I couldn't sleep. It had been that way ever since....

I can't find it in myself to say it. The closest I could get was saying that Calvin was gone. Even then that felt wrong and sick. It felt like I was betraying him.

Unfortunately, the truth was uncomfortable and it was that Calvin was gone. He was gone and I would never get to see him or hear his wonderful deep voice. I would never get to feel his touch again or watch him smile.

It was all a hard pill to swallow, so I just decided I wouldn't do it. I take a deep breath.

I feel him before he even says anything. It wasn't always like this but the more and more he kept coming around, the better I got at sensing him.

Are you coming outside? Demitri says in my head. I smile, imagining him standing by the tree outside of my house, looking up at my window. I picture him wearing a stupid hat knowing damn well he's in my head right now, seeing it. Nice. Now get out here. 

I sit up, shaking off the grog that came along with laying in bed lethargically for hours on end. I shake it off and walk to the front of the house where I can sense him the strongest. 

It was quiet out here and the weather was nice. I'm  wearing denim skinny jeans and a light pink hoodie. My black wavy hair is in a messy bun.

Demitri stands in the driveway under my favorite willow tree. Almost exactly how I pictured him minus the stupid hat. His black hair is longer on top and neatly faded on the sides. His hair is neatly groomed and the stubble on his jaw is neatly lined as well. He's wearing denim jeans and a black t-shirt that hugs onto his chest beautifully. He's handsome as always. 

He grins at me, knowing exactly what I'm thinking. Annoying as always.

"How did you know I was up?" I ask him out loud.

"Are you kidding me? I can hear your thoughts all the way over at my place." He teases me as he pulls me in for a hug.

"Seriously?" I frown anxiously.

"No, not really, but I thought I'd check on you. You alright?" He asks me as I study him for a moment. It was no use lying to him. He could hear my mind clearly which again, was really Annoying. 

"I'm here." I shrug at him. "How are you?" 

"I'm also here." He smiles. "Come on, let's sit." He leads me to the base of the tree. I loved sitting here by myself but lately he had been coming over and I decided I also loved sitting here with him.

"What about Lucas?" I ask. I dreaded the answer, honestly, but it was gonna come up eventually, so we might as well get it over with.

"The same. Maybe worse. He completely doesn't give a fuck anymore and he's barely home anymore." Demitri shrugs. I wonder what would happen if I confronted Lucas. Maybe knocked some sense into him... 

"It's worth a try, Andi." Demitri pounces on this thought as soon as I have it.

"You're very fucking annoying, you know that?" I grin at him. "I can't even think in peace around you."

"So I've heard," He smiles a really cute boyish grin that I can't help but not be mad at. It was true. I was devastated over losing Calvin. At one point, I couldn't even get out of bed, but Demitri never left my side. If he wasn't in my room, pestering me to get out of bed, he was calling my cell phone non stop, wondering if I had fed yet and if not, he would come with me. He was like an annoying little brother. He was worse than Enzo.