• twenty-three •

something about Harry in dad mode that makes me so happy ugh.
and there's a reference from the first book in this chapter 🙂
can you guys guess what it is?

||

| Jailen |

"And now, when someone makes you angry or upset, what do you do, bug?" I asked Hayden as I put her bonnet on her head.

We were currently getting her ready for bed. Yes, we.

The moment Harry told me that Jonah was gonna drive my car back to my apartment, I knew he had no intentions of letting us go by ourselves.

Surprisingly, I didn't mind. Maybe because I knew there was no point in arguing with him and maybe because he wasn't as insufferable today.

Even with him just standing in the doorway, it felt like he was directly behind me.

Hayden huffed, "Tell an adult."

"And if the adult doesn't do anything about it?"

"Dad said to beat their ass." She giggled, knowing good and well she wasn't supposed to say that.

I could hear Harry try to keep his laughter low but he didn't try to hide his smile as I glared at him over my shoulder. That was enough for tonight.

"Yeah, you're done," I leaned forward and kissed Hayden's cheek, "Bedtime, lay down."

She groaned but climbed into her bed, "Can you stay?"

"Yes, but only until you fall asleep, bug," I said, preparing myself to lay in this tiny toddler bed but I was stopped as Harry walked fully into the bedroom.

"I'll stay," He volunteered, already kicking his shoes off.

I watched him as he walked around to the other side of the bed. Hayden cheered excitedly and moved over so that Harry had some space, even though there wasn't any space at all.

"Are you sure?" I asked, a little skeptical, "You don't have to-"

"Jai, baby, go shower," He waved me off, tying his hair into a bun and curling up next to Hayden as best as he could.

And just like that, any doubt I had about Harry being comfortable left my mind and I practically sprinted out of the room.

I couldn't remember the last time I showered by myself. Hayden would sit outside the tub until I was finished, and even then, she would follow me into the room. I didn't mind, sometimes I'd even kill two birds with one stone and bathe us together.

But this was the first time in four years that I was in the bathroom alone.

I turned the water on the hottest setting, which I never did because I was afraid the steam would be too much for Hayden. I closed the door all the way, which I never did because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to hear anything outside of the bathroom. But, Harry was here, and I felt... safe.

I stripped naked, tossing my clothes into the laundry basket before I stepped into the shower. It burned but I didn't bother changing the temperature. I stepped underneath the stream, not caring that I was getting my hair wet, and let the water flow down my body. It was time for a wash anyway.

I wasn't sure how long I was in there. Not that I was keeping track of time anyway, but it wasn't until the water was freezing that I decided to get out of the shower. But, I looked over at the razor on the shelf and hesitated.

There was no reason for me even to consider it, yet I didn't bother stopping myself as I quickly grabbed the shaving cream and lifted my leg onto the edge of the tub. I shaved every inch of my body. Every inch. By the time, I was finished, the water was ice cold and I was seconds away from passing out.