6. Planning

"Why is he coming with us?" I ask my mom, as I saw Shubhman walking towards the wedding car with us.

A hired driver, me, my mom and my brother aka the groom were supposed to be going in this car.

"The driver was needed for another vehicle and I just happen to know how to drive a Range Rover." He says, infront of everybody and goes to the passenger side to open the car door of the rented and rose-decorated vehicle.

"Mom can sit in the front." I say looking up at her as she shakes her head and gestures for me to go ahead. I huff and walk towards the door and just as I was about to step in, I felt his hand on my waist as he nudged me closer.

"Stop being rude to your boyfriend." He says breathing close to my neck as it was this car shielding us from my mom and brother's sight. I slipped away and looked around for any guests having caught him feeling me up.

I give him a side glare and wanted to tell him that he wasn't my boyfriend. Or was he?

What did I agree to?

To get to know him. Not a relationship with him. Right?

We sat in the car as he connected his phone. The first song that played was Pasoori. It had been on my playlist the past few weeks but it was surprising to find that he now had a better music taste.

"What? No babbu Maan? No Himesh Reshamiya?" I say almost shocked as he chuckles.

"I still listen to them. They are the OG's, this is just... something you'd like." He said giving me a side eye and then looked at my mother through the rear view mirror. "Or should we play Asha Bhosle for the beautiful young lady in the back?"

"Hahaa... you've grown to be such a charmer, Beta." My mom said blessing him and ruining his hairstyle in the process as he just smiles in return. "Now you should help us finding a groom for Ajooni." My mother said, as he almost choked on his saliva but somehow managed a straight face. I muffled my laughter with my hand at his response before turning to mom.

"Ma. We're literally in the car going for Bhai's wedding. You pestered him for the last 5 years and now that he's getting married, don't start this on me." I said, as my mother faked a sob.

"Is this how you talk to your mom. Shubh?"

"No aunty. I would never talk to my mother like this." He said biting his cheek. It was his turn for a muffled laugh this time.

"There is a proper age for everything
An age for education, an age for setting your career. Now is your age to get married." My mother said as I turned to my brother for defence. He was busy watching a marriage ceremony video on YouTube. I noticed he was checking the side you turn in the pheras and the side groom sits and stands in different rituals.

"Last minute revision. Pro max." I whispered as Shubh smiles as if understanding my reference.

"By the way aunty, you should find a good guy for Ajooni and get her married quickly as well." He said, as I squint at him.

"Yes mom. Please find a good guy. Make sure he is a doctor as well and earns good. He should also live in the same city so I don't have to shift my base." I said, taking my revenge. I was hoping for him to be cheeky and have a reply ready, but he was quiet in response.

My mother's phone rang as she got busy for the next 10 minutes making arrangements with maasi until we reached the venue.

My mother was the first to get out while my brother was the second one, guided with a whole procession of Dhol and other Punjabi folk instruments. I turned to open the door as he held my hand and moved the car forward towards parking.

"Where are you..."

"Do you really want a doctor and in the same city? Because I'm here to marry you. I see a future with you, but if that's  not what you think... tell me now. I'm not wasting my time here for a fling." His words caught me off-guard.

I could look at his Adam's apple bob as I shook my head. He was still the sensitive little boy in a strong athletic man.

"You cannot talk to me like that, Shubhman. Wife or not." I said, as I struggle with the security lock and he shifts the control opening it for me.

I walk out of the car and take deep breaths before putting on a fake smile and finding my cousins.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The marriage ceremony concluded as I was pulled to the dance floor.  I danced my heart out not worrying about the worries of a certain man destroying my mental peace. Good beats. Amazing Indian dresses. Heavy jewelry and happy occasion... what else do I need?

It was then that I noticed him watching me from where the label ready BAR in the wedding banquet. He stood there, a whiskey in his hand sipping and admiring his view.

I would be lying if I said it didn't intimidate me. That man had changed and what I saw today is the tip of the iceberg. I have changed as well and it is this very change that we have to learn to live with in each other, if we want this.

His gaze made me feel naked, but also it didn't stop me. He wanted to see all he wanted. I wasn't one to cower under his scrutiny.

It was when the DJ announced that the newly wed couple should grace the stage and a romantic song played, that I decided to use the restroom to touch up my make up. 

I looked in the mirror and reapplied my lipstick when the door opened. I presumed it to be another woman, but it wasn't.

It was him. He locked from inside and walked towards me.

"It's a ladies washroom."

"Don't care." He said and his hands were on my back, as he lifted me and placed me on the dry shelf between the sinks.

"I'll get wet." I said, looking at the side as he smirked.

"You should." He said, separating my Lehanga clad legs and standing between them. "I'm sorry." He says, as I realized that my hands had ended up on his shoulders.

"You were a jerk." I said, as his eyes drift between mine meeting them. I blinked tell him, it was okay to let down whatever guard he had on.

"The world respects a jerk. Good people are just used and thrown." He says, as if it would mean something. I knew about his past, but it had effected him more than he let on.

"Do you think I'll do the same?" I ask, as he shakes his head.

"I hope not." He said, and I knew his trust had been broken more than once. I let my hand down from his shoulder to his chest as if to calm him.  His hand held it there. "I see you still love dancing?"

"Ofcourse, I Do."

"Hmmm... Can I get a private show sometime?"

"I'm a doctor." I say amazed at how sophisticated he looked in contrast to his dirty words.

"But you're also mine." He said pulling me closer. The shelf gave me height and the top of my head almost towered over his shoulder.

"Did I say that? I thought I just gave you a chance to prove if we are still compatible." I say, as his eyebrows furrow for a moment and then relax to show a sly smile.

"Then I need a proper chance." He said, as I frowned. "Appoint someone as a substitute. You're going to Bali with me for the next 20 days."

"But... my parents?"

"If I tell them...about this..." he says pointing to the distance between us, "This trip will be called a honeymoon and as much as I like the idea, you're not there yet. So, you deal with that. I'll send you the details." He said, kissing my cheek, setting his tie and walking out.

"This is the ladies room." Someone called out from outside.

"Sorry, I mistook the sign." He replied, his voice drifting into the sound of loud Punjabi music.