8. Kidnapped!!

The aroma of Mariam's delicious Nasi Lemak filled the room as Fatiha opened the door. Mariam's smile was infectious, a vibrant contrast to the gloomy sky outside.

"Come in, come in!" Fatiha welcomed.

I was getting bored, so I decided to surprise you with a traditional Malaysian dish," Mariam said, placing the steaming tray on the table.

Fatiha's eyes lit up. "You really went all out, didn't you?" she exclaimed, her voice warm with appreciation. "It looks amazing!"

Just then, the doorbell chimed again. This time, it was Khadija, bearing a plate of Turkish delights. "I found these at the market and couldn't resist," she said, her eyes twinkling. "I know you love them."

Fatiha laughed, her heart swelling with warmth. "You two are going to make me fat with all this delicious food!" she teased, already feeling the weight of her pregnancy.

"Don't worry," Mariam chuckled. "Pregnancy comes with a free pass to indulge. You'll have plenty of time to get back in shape after the baby arrives."

All of them started having lunch together.

" When is your delivery date?" Khadija asked.

" Next month. " Fatiha replied with a smile. Both Khadija and Mariam felt like she was looking beautiful more than ever.

The afternoon unfolded in a flurry of laughter and conversation. They shared stories, dreams, and anxieties, their connection deepening with each shared word.

Suddenly, Mariam's phone pierced the air with a shrill ring. She excused herself and answered, her face quickly turning grim.

"What? When? Which hospital?!" Mariam's voice was strained with worry.

After hanging up, she turned to the others. "Ahmed and his wife have been in an accident. I need to get to the hospital right away," she said, her voice trembling.

Khadija rose quickly. "I'll come with you," she declared.

"No, it's okay," Mariam insisted. "You stay with Fatiha."

With a final hug and a hurried good-bye, Mariam rushed out the door, leaving behind a chilling silence.

Fatiha and Khadija exchanged worried glances. A moment later, Khadija's phone buzzed. She read the message with a frown.

"Daud needs me to come home urgently," she explained. "Seems something important has come up."

Fatiha understood. "Of course, go," she said, a sense of unease creeping into her heart.

As Khadija hurried out, leaving Fatiha alone in the suddenly quiet house, the shadows seemed to lengthen, morphing into lurking figures. The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting the room in an eerie twilight.

Fatiha tried calling Zahran, but his phone went straight to voicemail. Panic began to gnaw at her. She felt a presence, unseen but undeniable, watching her every move. She heard some steps approaching, but was still unable to locate who or what was behind this terrorizing sound. Her breath quickened. Her pulse increased rapidly and her eyes darted around everywhere.

She decided to call the police. To her horror, there was no signal.

A loud creak from upstairs froze her blood. Slowly, she gripped the knife she'd grabbed from the kitchen, her heart pounding a frantic rhythm.

With each step she took towards the source of the sound, the air grew thick with tension. The silence was broken only by the rhythmic thudding of her own pulse. She placed her hand on her stomach as if trying to protect her unborn child from any sort of danger.

Reaching the living room, the blood drained from her face. There, sprawled on the sofa, was the Joker, his face a mask of chilling amusement as he sipped from a glass of juice. In his hand, a Joker card glinted ominously, a symbol of danger and death.

The room spun; the air sucked from her lungs. As their eyes locked, a predator sizing up its prey, a chilling smile spread across the Joker's face, promising a nightmare she could only imagine.

---------

Raihan's smile faltered as he noticed the shadows lurking beneath Zahran's eyes. "What happened, Zahran?" he asked, concern lacing his voice.

Zahran hesitated, then blurted out, "It's about Tahira."

Raihan's heart skipped a beat. "Fatiha? Is she alright? Is the baby, okay?"

"They're both fine," Zahran assured him, the words heavy on his tongue. "But..." he trailed off, his eyes darting around nervously.

"But what?" Raihan pressed, his fear growing.

Before Zahran could answer, two figures materialized from the darkness, their faces hidden beneath hoods. In a chillingly cold voice, one of them spoke, "If you value your lives, you'll come with us quietly."

Without a second thought, Zahran and Raihan exchanged a look, silent agreement passing between them. They nodded slowly, accepting their fate.

-------