Chapter 2

Her parents arrive right on the dot of noon.

"Wow, you're actually here early!" Her father commented.

"Mhm." She replied.

"After lunch we're gonna have to go home early."

"What?" Emily blinked. "Why?"

"Because someone forgot to feed the dog before we left." Her mother said, glaring at her.

"What- but I gave him food before we left!"

"But you didn't set out his lunch."

"He can go two more hours without food!"

"Don't talk back to your mother!" Her father scolded. "You should be glad you get to go home early, you're always complaining on how it's 'summer break' and 'I should get this season off'."

"Yeah, but I love aquariums! It's the only thing I love going to!"

"Be quiet! Do not talk back to your father."

She blinked angry tears out of her eyes as she spoke. "At least let me get one thing from the gift shop."

"You get something from there and you're not eating lunch until you get home." Her mother said. "You need to learn to spend your money wisely."

"Cool." She replied as she walked towards the gift shop, trying not to cry.

She arrived and looked around at all the stuff there. Blob fish shirts, stuffed turtles, jellyfish lamps, and a single giant whale pool float.

She walked toward the pool float that was standing upright in the basket, it was somewhat deflated but the last one there so it was probably good. She checked the price.

Fifty dollars!? Yikes.

Then she remembered all the times she wanted something but her parents said, 'don't spend your money on useless crap like that, save it for something important.'

She definitely had more than enough. In no time she grabbed the inflatable whale and went to the checkout, she was done being told what to do, plus she's always wanted a giant pool float.

***

"What the heck is that!?" Her parents exclaimed as she got in the car.

"My new pool float." She replied.

"You'd rather buy useless crap like that than eat!?"

"I had enough for both but you would only let me choose one."

"Don't sass us like that! You should be thankful you live under our roof."

She rolled her eyes as her dad started the car and started their way home.

Two more years. She thought. Two more years until college.

***

As soon as they got home she bolted inside and devoured an apple, then went to the garage to inflate her whale float. She grabbed a pump and in no time it was full of air and ready for the pool. Just as she was walking out the back door, something caught her eye, her demon-like dog was sitting in the corner, staring into her soul with its large, beady eyes.

"Emily! Did you feed the dog?" She heard her mom ask.

"Doing it right now!" She said, scooping up its dry food and pouring it into the bowl. It continued to stare at her as she made her way to the pool in their backyard and jumped in. She closed her eyes in pure bliss as she felt the cool water run through her hair as she swam foward and surfaced. She jumped onto the whale to find it was in great shape and fairly easy to balance on.
She was out there for the next few hours until her mom called her in for dinner. She came in, put her whale away in her room, and changed into some dry clothes.

During dinner her parents mainly discussed taxes and stuff, until they got her attention.

"Emily." Her dad said.

"Yes?"

"Have you been paying attention?"

"To what?"

Her mother sighed angrily. "See? Stuff like this is what will prevent you from getting a good job and a husband! Why can't you be more like your sister?"

Emily stared at her dinner, no longer hungry. She had an older sister, Leah who had just graduated college and was happily married, and most definitely the favorite.

"Well? Answer me!"

"Because I'm not Leah!" She yelled, making her parents jump. "I'm not perfect like her ok!? I thought that was settled the day I was born! But I guess I was wrong!" She got up and stomped to her room right as her father yelled. "Go to your room!"

"I'm already in my room!" She slammed the door and collapsed onto her bed, crying.

lol drama