Chapter 14: The Lion's Den part 1

Chapter 14 : The Lion's Den part 1

Messina 1411

Hertog Van Lyndon had not tasted tension such as that afternoon among his men. Nervous energy buzzed and the air thickened around the six men. A stillness followed the guardians before they turned into nothing but a sharpened axe, as though separating themselves from their emotions.

The Moran had a sense of keeping their emotions to themselves — if they had such things. Had King Maximilian been present, the Moran wouldn't dare breathe. The King's guardians were inconspicuous and those who sensed their presence were in their final moments. However, this was not home and King Maximilian was not present. Yet the Hertog had the nerve to keep King Linnaeus waiting.

Two summons had come and gone, and still he delayed. The Hertog did not dare imagine what would happen if another servant sent by the King returned without them. Despite the little respect that he had for the man, they were outnumbered. What could seven men do to an army? He was not a man who liked tempting fate but he had little choice or control over the situation.

"Grand Master, the servant will be with the King shortly. If we delay much longer, it may have irrevocable consequences."

The words came with hesitation. He was perhaps the only person to dare tell the spymaster to hurry. The spymaster was nothing in comparison to the king but they were all aware that he could have them killed before dusk if he chose and King Maximilian would applaud his swift movements in maintaining order.

Even as the Grand Master stood as stiff as a rod, every instinct in his body wanted to pace the room to remove the tension. He served a king who noticed a click of the tongue or a flinch of the brow. He had not become Grand Master while idling by. It took skill, sweat and blood, his and so much more from others.

He slowly turned around, his eyes washing over the silent guardian who remained in the room with him. It was a passing glance, aware but not engaging, before settling on the guardian with a death wish.

"Is King Linnaeus my king?"

"No, Grand Master."

Threats from the Grand Master silenced rooms whether they came with blood or torment, if not both. When the guardian behind them made a sound, the Grand Master didn't bother breaking eye contact from the one who dared to speak out of turn. The message would be received by all.

"Shall I ask for names?" To ask a Moran for a name was to damn any men in the room. Many had been killed for less. The two guardians measured each other like animals in cage seeing their master with a single bone. One thing was clear: only one can survive.

"The next man to tell me of the cares of a man who is not my king will find themselves stateless." His gaze was searing and took the air out of the room. "Anything else to add?"

Silence followed.

The Grand Master turned towards his desk and the room went dead quiet. The guardian was quiet as a mouse when he left the room. Once certain they were alone, the Grand Master cleared his throat and glanced at the adjoining door. "Let him in."

The guardian moved swiftly but carefully as he opened the door. Another man, dressed like the Moran, entered.

"You are late."