n i n e

*:・。 We ain't a kid no more, We'll never be those kids again *ੈ✩‧₊˚

We'll never be those kids
again *ੈ✩‧₊˚

HIS HEAVY EYES had been trained on her figure that entire evening, for even as people spoke to him on both sides, he never once made it so she wasn't his top priority. She could feel the fiery blaze that went deep inside his eyes, burning off her skin with each look, the momentary relief coming from the rare blinks. It was strong, even when his overall distraction was elsewhere, his body tense from the fact he had been dragged away from her so soon into the night.

She caught his gaze as certain points in the evening, a faint turn of her head resulting in an almost staring contest between the two of them. A mere flutter of her eyelashes as her lips gently folded into each other, her teeth catching onto them at the last seconds, sending the man into a spiral, his eyes growing heavier. Through the mass of conversations, each containing at least three people as gossip floated around the room like the children that had been forced to come by their own parents, only to get abandoned the millisecond that they walk into the door.

"So how old were you when you started karting?" A random man whom was sat next to him questioned, taking a sip from the very noisy beer can he had picked up. None of the men bothered with the conversation starters that their wives had, diving straight into the sporty questions. In Lando's opinion, it was disrespectful however nothing could beat them talking about their more than mild dislike of certain drivers they had never met, most of which he was friends with or looked up to. But he bit his tongue, so hard it began to bleed, it wouldn't be fair to Isabelle if he were to start a scene.

"Seven-ish." Lando replied, his words barely making it past the utter tenseness that originated  from his jaw. Taking a sip from his own share of the mixture of burning liquid, he briefly broke away from the woman conversing with guests and turned it towards the man who had answered the question. Unlike the other's, he had been raised to know it was disrespectful to talk to someone without even slightly caring about what they were talking about however, his politeness stopped there, never bothering to learn their names.

"Ah! Shelain, we still have time to get our Bobby into karting." The unknown man basically shouted across the room, his words were directed at his wife but still managed to hit a mass of people in the face on the way there. Lando shrunk downwards in his seat slightly, opting to turn his attention back to his fiancé. To his pleasure, she was waving his presence down, beckoning him over to where she was stood.

Without any thought, he mumbled a slight 'excuse me' before walking towards her, his arm immediately slinking around her shoulder to keep her stable. Her wobbling throughout the night had even succeeded in making him dizzy.

"And Lando, he has this amazing merch brand and other thing I believe.  You have done so well for yourself, haven't you?" Belle began, looking up at him with so much love in her eyes that even he, himself would fall for their relationship. Each syllable was slightly enunciated, earning him a singular poke each time. He smiled slightly as she stroked his bicep, looking up towards the two other woman that were around them to distract himself.

"My son is such a big fan, I was just wondering what to get him for Christmas!" She twisted her head as she spoke, acting as though the action would help her make sense of his next words much faster that usual.

Lando thought for what felt like a while but was actually only a couple second, slowly replaying each of his options with a carefulness so he could assure everyone that he would actually be able to do it. "How about meeting me? I could always sign some things as well."

"You would do that?" Isabelle gasped softly, her eyes looking straight up towards his soft cheeks. His eyes however detoured from her, looking at her mother who could only signal taking shots. Obviously, he already knew that she had been drinking, it had been very evident with the ordeal outside however never did he expect for her to act like how she was now.

Humming softly, he lowered his hand from her shoulder to her mid section, bringing her in closer so she could rest her head on him. For a part of him knew that this closeness, everyday would not be possible for much longer. He didn't know how much longer he could hold onto his own feelings.

Belle shifted slightly in his hold, wrapping her own arms around his stomach as she held him in a tender grasp, the sound of his beating heart echoing rhythmically into her ear.

The woman stood across from him seemed to look downwards, leaning against the wall that was behind her as though it would not only support her back but her thoughts as well. "How much would you want for that?"

"Absolutely nothing. It would be my honest pleasure to do it." He responded quicker than he thought was possible, holding his freed hand upwards as a way to push his sincerity through to her.

"You are the best." A soft mumble came from Belle, her words hitting a block that was his chest so very few could hear her love-struck words.

"I would really appreciate that, thank you very much." A genuine smile lifted upon the woman's face, covering every inch of it in different lines and dimples at the fact that her son would be meeting someone he looked so strongly up to. "Now Jo, I expect you will be okay dealing with the sharing of numbers? I best go get Dave out of here!"

With a short and slight nod from Josephine, the woman was off, powering through the many heaps of people that filled the room to complete her 'mission' of finding her husband.

"If someone could fall asleep standing up, I don't reckon we would be hearing from her for a couple of days." The mother laughed slightly as her lips attached themselves to the champagne flute, her suddenly deciding to down the rest of it. "It's very sweet, I am happy she has managed to find someone like you. Nicholas is too, he wouldn't admit it in a thousand years but just hang in there."

"Oh I definitely will."

authors note- i rushed this chapter I am so sorry 🫣