Chapter 6: The Fall

Maine pulled up to the front of the warehouse in the crew's car, drifted to the side, and stopped. "Get in!" Maine ordered. "I was on my way here as soon as I saw the bounty was posted."

Michael and Rebecca didn't hesitate to jump into the car, and Maine stormed off. As soon as they were on the road, they were being chased by at least four different cars, all of which were shooting at them. "Looks like Maelstrom wants to claim my bounty!" Michael shouted as he leaned out the window with his rifle and began shooting at the assailants. He popped the tire of one of the cars, which caused it to spin out and flip over. As the car skidded to a halt upside down, another car crashed into it, causing both cars to explode.

The entire situation instantly devolved into chaos. As Michael and Rebecca shot at and destroyed pursuers, the amount that would arrive and continue the chase would double. "If shit could get any worse than this, I'd be really fucking surprised!" Rebecca yelled sarcastically, as she shot the driver of a car full of Tyger Claws, causing the car to veer to the side and crash into a large metal pole. After nearly the entire road was filled with gangs, they were all pushed aside or drove out of the way as at least a dozen heavy-duty Arasaka trucks barreled down the street. "This isn't good!" Maine yelled. "We can't fight all of these fuckers at once! Gotta lose 'em."

"I don't think that's gonna be possible!" Michael shouted back as he leaned back into the car, narrowly dodging a shot from one of the trucks. Things looked grim. Very, very, grim. "At least we'll go out in a blaze of glory!" Rebecca yelled as she continued to fire at the trucks. Michael froze in place for a moment. They were going to die. There was no way out of something like this. But.... They were after him.

Michael looked over at his friends, as he came to a sudden realization. "You guys don't have to die today." Michael said out loud, as his heart began to pound. "They're after me."

"Michael, what the fuck are you talking about?" Rebecca shouted at him as she leaned back into the car. "The bounty is on my head, they're after me." Michael continued. "No!" Rebecca shouted, her voice breaking a bit, seeming to realize what Michael was about to do. "We're a team! We're in this together!"

Michael took his helmet off, and tossed it onto the seat beside him. "I don't want you guys to die because of me!" Michael shouted back. "I can't let that happen. I won't."

The emotion on Rebecca's face slowly drained. Her mouth turned into a small frown, and she looked at Michael as her eyes began to water. "You.... can't...." she gently muttered, as a tear dripped down her cheek. Michael lifted up his arm, wiping the tear off of her face, and placed his hand on her cheek. "I have to." Michael bleakley stated. "I'm sorry it has to end this way."

Rebecca placed her hand over his, as she began to gently sob. Michael leaned forward, and placed his forehead against hers. "Before I go, I need to tell you," he said. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me. Without you, I don't know where I would be now. But I don't need to know. I'm content with the life I've had."

Rebecca placed her hands on both of his cheeks and pressed her lips against his. They both made sure to savor the moment, since this would more than likely be the last. Michael reached down, grabbed his helmet, and put it back on. "Don't be afraid to live out the rest of your life when I'm gone." Michael gently said. "Don't be afraid to move on. To let go of the past. Think back on it fondly, but don't let it consume your life."

Rebecca began to sob louder. "I love you, Michael." she whimpered through her sobs. Michael looked back at her, the woman he loved, one last time as he grabbed the handle to the car door. "I love you too, Rebecca." Michael replied, struggling to keep his voice from quivering. "More than anything in the world."

Michael opened the car door, and used his reinforced tendons to jump out as the car passed by another street. Michael ran as fast as he could, and he didn't look back. If he looked back, he didn't think he'd be able to keep it together. He ran forward as fast as his legs could carry him. He heard several tires screech, and he impulsively glanced over his shoulder as he saw the cars steer his way. His plan worked. His friends would live to see another day. Michael continued to run, but the trucks were faster. As one of the trucks was about to hit him, he jumped up as high as he could, and landed on top of the truck. He immediately grabbed a pair of grenades off of his belt, and hesitated slightly before pulling the pins. "I'M TAKING YOU FUCKERS WITH ME!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, as he dropped the grenades, and began pulling the pins of as many more as he could. After a couple seconds, the first two grenades exploded, the force of which sent him flying forward, and slamming into a stoplight. As soon as Michael slammed into the light, everything went black.

Michael's eyes slowly opened back up, and he winced in pain. His armor was chipped and sparking, and he felt like every single bone in his body was broken. He looked around, and saw that the front few trucks had exploded, causing the rest of the cars to pile up. On the other side of the street, several Arasaka and NCPD cars were blocking the road. Michael tried to get up, but he could barely move a muscle. His eyes began to force themselves shut, and as he opened them again, the Arasaka agent he was sent to hunt was standing above him, accompanied by a few other Corpos, presumably also Arasaka, wearing suits. "I say we let him die," The agent said, rubbing her chin. "The armor is too damaged, won't be useful now."

"His armor may be damaged, but he is still alive," One of the other Corpos chimed in. "I have a better idea."

Michael's eyes began to force themselves shut once more, as the Corpo gave the Agent an order. "Send him to Mikoshi...." They said, as Michael closed his eyes one last time....