Chapter 17: Belly Of The Beast

Night City, Night City International and Translunar Spaceport, July 20, 2081

As soon as Michael was finished saying his goodbyes at the Columbarium, he immediately headed straight to the Spaceport. As he entered the hangar in which his transport awaited him, several different Mercs were lined up, creating a walkway towards the AV which would transport him to Hong Kong. "What is this?" Michael asked, very confused. Rogue walked forward from the crowd, and looked Michael in the eyes. "Most Mercs die chasing wealth or fame." Rogue said. "They die chasing material gain. But you're doing something that few Mercs would ever do. You're going out on a dangerous mission, one that you most likely won't come back from, not for a reward or for fame, but to save the world."

"So you're here to say your goodbyes?" Michael asked bluntly. "No." Rogue answered. "We're doing something Mercs don't get the privilege of seeing: fellow Mercs, honoring one of their own. Tonight, we're going to drink in your honor; a celebration of life, I suppose."

Michael wanted to appreciate what they were doing, he really did, but on top of everything else on his mind, he couldn't feel anything other than apathy. "Thanks...." He muttered. "That's.... very kind of you. Of all of you."

Rogue stepped aside, and Michael continued to walk. He saw V in the crowd, who was holding a box. He stepped forward, and held the box out to him. "What's this?" Michael asked. "One of my clients was inside of a storage facility, and he found this, and klepped it for me. Was gonna show you somethin' that's already in there, but didn't get the chance. Consider a final parting gift."

"Thank you, V." Michael said, as he gently grabbed the box out of V's hands, and continued onward. As the hatch that led inside of the AV lowered down, Michael turned back to face the crowd that had been there to greet him on his way out. "You remember my drink, for the Afterlife?" Michael asked Rogue. "Yep." She answered. "Tonight, everyone gets a Michael on the house."

"Nah, not a Michael." Michael stated, as he stepped into the AV, and turned back around once more. "Tonight, each of you will be drinking an Archangel."

Rogue nodded her head in approval, as the door to the AV closed, and the autopilot took off, on a course to Hong Kong.

Michael had been sitting in the AV for several hours, vacantly staring at the box before him, as he continued to approach his destination. So much was on his mind; his old life, his mission, all of it. He had been trying to fall asleep, but couldn't. He sighed, and reached down to open the box. The box was filled with several trinkets, the first one catching his being a book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. "Huh, funny...." Michael mumbled to himself. "This was Rebecca's favorite book."

While you wouldn't guess it from simply looking at her, Rebecca loved to read. This book in particular happened to be her favorite, so much so that she even got the author's name tattooed on her right leg. Michael gently set the book aside as he continued to dig through the box. Everything inside looked familiar, like he'd seen it all before. "Wait...." Michael muttered. "These things are all-"

Michael immediately froze as he saw what sat at the bottom of the box. "No way...." He muttered in surprise. The item wouldn't have caught any eyes on its own, it was just a tiny black box, with a soft, velvet texture. Michael slowly reached down and picked it up. He gently pried open the small box, and upon seeing what was inside, placed a hand over where his mouth would be. Sitting in the box, caked in dust, was a silver ring, adorned with a small red gem. Michael had recognized the ring instantly. He had gotten the ring for her. Michael now realized why all of the items in the box looked so familiar. It was a collection of Rebecca's belongings, most likely placed in storage after she had passed. He never did give her the ring himself, never got the chance. She must've found it herself? Michael set the ring down beside him, and reached down to grab a different object, some sort of datapad. The thing looked a little bit outdated, had to have been a decade old at least. Michael inspected the device, and pressed the power button located on the side. As it turned on, a log of several different audio files popped up on the screen. Michael gently tapped on the first one. "Hey Michael." A familiar voice played from the device. Michael felt like several glowing-hot needles pierced into his chest. It was Rebecca. It seemed like she kept some sort of virtual diary or something? Michael leaned forward, gazing at the device as he listened....