Prologue

Mary Winchester, a former hunter, mother to two beautiful boys, and the wife to the man of her dreams, had everything she could possibly ask for: yet something always felt like it was missing.

John Winchester, a marine man, father to two boys, and the husband to the woman of his dreams, felt he had everything he could ever want right in front of him.

That all changed on October 2, 1983.

It was a sunny day, perfect for a daytime stroll with her boys. Walking around the house, Mary gathered what she would need for Sammy and Dean.

"Come on John, we're losing daylight," Mary had yelled out in the house that was so full of life and love.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

The thudding of boots resonated in the hall. They were coming from two different directions, purposefully making loud noises in order to confuse their target. Stifling a laugh, Gabriel looked back to where he saw shoes poking out from under the curtain in the hallway leading towards the Garden of Eden, his sunshine's favorite place. With the elegance of a sneaky warrior, he started to creep towards the curtain, not making a single sound.

Bang.

Gabriel's head shot up towards the culprit behind the loud noise; it seemed someone didn't get the memo of being quiet. Castiel grimaced and looked down: the sword that was once on the wall was now clattering on the pristine marble floor. Scoffing, Gabriel figured he might as well yank the curtain back since their position was compromised, yet what he thought would reveal his sunshine hidden with her teddy bear with angel wings, revealed a tall window looking out towards the training grounds, no child in sight.

Chuckling, Gabriel rolled his eyes, turned to Castiel, and said, "Next time, we could do without a sword falling off the wall. We're sticking together so I can keep an eye on you, we don't need any more swords getting damaged."

Castiel grimaced once more and followed after his big brother who was leading them into the Garden of Eden. No matter how many times they played this human game, Cat always ended up hiding in the Garden. Gadreel was at the entrance of the Garden, expecting the archangel and angel to show up.

Castiel looked towards the older angel, Gadreel, and asked, "Is she in here?"

"Now if I told you that, it would be cheating, wouldn't it?"

Gabriel chuckled and threw his arm around the younger angel, "Don't you know brother, Gadreel is wrapped around sunshine's little finger, he'd never give up her hiding place."

A giggle came from the trees to the right of the group of angels. It was quiet, but due to their enhanced hearing, the sound of a child's giggle was clear as day.

Grinning like a Cheshire cat, Gabriel turned to Castiel and proclaimed, "Oh where, oh where, can little sunshine be?" He started walking towards the source of the noise, "Is she here? .... No." Getting closer and closer to the tree little Catalina was in, he said, "Is she here? .... No."

He slowly and quietly started to climb up the tree Cat was in, taking notice of where the little girl sat on a branch, he said,  "Ah ha! Got you sweet cheeks."

Gabriel grabbed the giggling golden white haired girl in his arms and came down the tree. Once on solid ground, he started to swing the little girl in his arms, making her giggles increase.

"Now how did you think of putting your shoes behind the curtain, Sunshine."

Coming down from her giggle high, she replied, "Luci told me to do it."