Alt. Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The fields outside the town of Homedale were normally littered with flowers. It was a beautiful spectacle to see. It was also a major tourist spot for visitors to the island. However, now it was a battlefield. Saunders was currently engaging the rest of the Montana unit in a, fairly, advantages fight. Kay decided to take a tactic from Rivers and plan a long-range ambush. The Montana was rerouted to reinforce their position in the north, giving leave for Davis and Virginia to take control of Hoja City.

Montana had been training their tanks crews to aim and accomplish long shots over a length of nine hundred to one-thousand yards. Kay knew Naomi was the only one on their side who could hit a target at that range. So, Saunders had hidden behind one of the many flower infested hills that spread around the fields.

Once Montana arrived Saunders immediately acted and opened fire. They took down three immediately and with their position quite favorable, managed to continue with a barrage of potshots. It was the same tactic Rivers used to take out Count High when the battling for Hoja City started.

Rivers was none too happy about the attack. In fact, he was furious. The long-range shock tactic was one of his school's best strategies. It was hardly ever used on Montana in return.

"Range five hundred yards." A gunner said through comms.

"Roger, elevation 2.09." Another said.

"Range is clear. Open fire." Said yet another.

Twenty-seven tanks opened fire at once. Several hit their marks however only four of Saunders tanks were taken out. Rivers target was one of them. Yes, he was the Commander of the Montana unit, but he also was his tanks gunner. He was the best shot at Montana and one of the best in the whole Association team.

"Nice kills. Direct angle of fire 3.3 yards to the right. Saunders commander tank spotted." Said a gunner on radio.

Yes, Montana were known for their sniping abilities. Every single gunner was trained in Physics, Mathematics, and calculus. It was a trait needed for the shots they took in matches. It is what won them the American High School Tankery Championship so many times before.

"Fire." Another shout from the radio.

Several tanks opened fire on, presumably, Commander Kay's tank. Two shots hit the tank but were ineffective on disabling it.

A shot hit the ground close to Rivers tank, shaking the ground, and causing Rivers to adjust his target. "Anyone see where that last shot came from?" Rivers ordered on the radio.

"Nothing." One voice said.

"No Sir." Said another.

"Muzzle flash point 221. Elevation 73 yards above current position, eight hundred yards away top of the hill!" one of the gunners stated.

Rivers pointed towards that position and saw it. It was the Saunders Firefly. That tank was their resident sniper. If Rivers took it out it would give some leeway to a charge.

"Spotted, keep it in your sights." Rivers ordered. "Ark, load a smaller copper domed velocity shell. I'm taking that one down." Rivers said.

"Right." Ark said grabbing the requested ordinance.

Rivers focused on the Firefly. It was stationary and vulnerable. Rivers wanted to take it out, he needed to take it out. The defeat at Hoja City was a humiliating afront. Even worse was when Davis from Virginia appeared and took over. He was now fighting St. Gloriana and Ooarai to take back lost ground. Rivers had to admit, Davis knew how to command.