Chapter One

Chapter One: The Malicious Brother

Alaelys Daltheon

Surveying the expansive surroundings, I find myself contemplating the sensation of throwing myself off the balcony. Would it be a painless death, or would I experience a crushing phenomenon throughout my body? As I step into the air, would regret flood me, or would the wind carry away all my worries?

The thought emits a heavy sigh from my lips as I stare out toward the vast towers that litter the skyline of the land. They soar upward into the sky, reaching heights that seem to defy logic. Adorned with intricate carvings and sculptures that depict scenes from our great history.

Just nearby, I come across my favorite tower that holds the sculpture of Vhagar, the goddess of war.

In her hand, she holds a sword lazily on her shoulder with a haunting smirk that forms a glint of mischief within her expression. Behind her is a scene of mass destruction, with flames devouring anything and everything around her.

The sight never failed to send a chill down the nape of my neck and along my spine.

Her intense gaze bores into my entire being, appearing to mock my innermost thoughts as if daring me to take the leap and forever be branded a coward. The pettiness that lingers within me, screams to drop the thought.

And it does, for now at least.

The all-common sound of wings flapping nearby shifts my attention to spot a vibrant olive-green dragon descending on that very tower. The hefty dragon lands with a thud against the flat rooftop and lets out a menacing roar, indicating its presence.

I am unable to stop the corner of my lip from rising at the sight of the beautiful creature. I doubt there will ever be a time that their presence wouldn't prompt a smile to grace my lips. Their aura was simply exhilarating and truly awe-inspiring, a sight like none other.

Their beauty alone could keep me in this world, for I could not name a thing in the known world more beautiful.

My gaze then shifts to focus on other dragons with riders adorning their backs as they soar through the vast sky of Valyria. There was not a single one that looked alike, all were vastly different in size, color, and shape. However, most of the dragons that I admire, I find riderless.

A more common appearance nowadays.

Even with an abundance of dragons and eligible riders, most flew alone in the skies. Despite dragon blood coursing through us, some were still cautious to approach said dragons, afraid to even attempt to bond with one.

My father brands those who embrace this belief as cowards unfit to represent the esteemed empire of Valyria. He sees it as entirely justified to subject them to the fiery breath of his dragon, Laevar. Nevertheless, there is little my father considers beyond his reach.