Reborn

Year: October 29, 2007; December 16, 2007

Canonicity: Canon to "The Mudblood" (a continuation of "Growing a Gremlin")

Point-of-view: first person, Lainey Fitzroy

"You coming to the Burrow for Albus's birthday next weekend?" Harry asked from where he sat behind his desk, munching on a sandwich. I'd Transfigured one of his quills into a feathery seat to lounge opposite him while Ron had rolled his chair over from his own cubicle to join us for lunch. We were all on our second sandwiches, them because they'd just finished intensive Auror exercises in the training room, and me because I was growing a hungry human in my womb.

"Obviously. Teddy won't let me forget about it," I said through a mouthful of bread. "He and Brian spent the whole summer building a little wooden playground for Al."

I didn't add that Rookwood assisted them in the project. Ron almost literally spat fire if I ever brought up Fred's murderer, rightfully so.

Harry smirked knowingly, no doubt having heard all the construction details from his godson. Teddy didn't understand the concept of secrets.

"Keep it...quiet—the party, I mean," Harry said. "You know how the press likes to document every moment of my family's life."

I didn't envy that. Occasionally reporters hounded me for information on my brother, but people legitimately stalked him and Ginny, taking creepily angled photos from behind buildings and such.

"Hmm, I dunno, they offered me loads of galleons—"

Harry threw a piece of lettuce at me, and I almost choked with laughter.

"How's the kid doing?" Ron nodded to my belly, protruding from the folds of my cloak. It'd burgeoned to a back-breaking size over the past four months, and I didn't know how I'd survive another five weeks of discomfort. At least Brian was the king of foot massages. And endlessly mocking me when I whined over trivial matters, sobbed over absolutely nothing, and bossed him around.

"Kicks nonstop." I touched my abdomen, where the baby squirmed like a Grindylow caught in a net, probably desperate to be free. "It's gonna be a little hellion like James."

Harry winced fondly at the mention of his eldest son. "Let's hope not."

"Hermione says the same about Hugo," Ron said, a haunted look in his eyes. Shortly after I announced my pregnancy, Hermione had announced hers, along with all the plans for his birth and formative years, including his name. "Rose is already a handful... We're bloody doomed."

I'd only met their daughter a few times, but she did seem rather strong-willed for a one-year-old. "Holidays are going to be utter chaos."

"I pity the professors who have to deal with them all," Harry said solemnly.

"McGongall's gonna send us so many Howlers when they destroy the school," I agreed, half amused.

Ron didn't share the sentiment, instead looking horrified. "Have you Seen that?"

"No, I refrain from looking into our kids' futures. I want to really experience their lives, you know? Oh, hey, can you join me for a meeting with Bruce before your lunch break's over?" I asked Ron. "He says he needs a pureblood for something, probably Seer related."

The professional protector of our society reared back in fear. "To the Department of Mysteries? Hell no. I'd fancy never seeing the bloody Brain Room again, thanks."

"Oh, c'mon, we'll just be in the Time Room."

He shook his head incessantly. "Bad memories there too, Lainey. Baaaaad memories..."