4

I halted in front of the building and watched it nervously for several seconds. Should I go in? Loud noises of people eating and drinking, talking and laughing came from within, setting my nerves on fire. I hated going new places. But-

"You going in?" said I gruff voice behind me. I whirled around to see a tall, thin man wearing a hood standing behind me.

"Yes, sorry sir," I squeaked. I could have kicked myself. But he was so tall! I pushed the door open and held it for him. He squinted at me - or I assumed he did, based off the way he cocked his head at me. Oh, right. We were in some traditional world where the men probably held the doors for women, not the other way round. Ah, well.

"One room, please," he told the bartender, who nodded.

"Um, me too, please," I said, my voice still a pitch higher than normal. Where had my confidence gone? The room full of big, loud men had killed it.

"Come on," he said. "The both of you." We followed him, the man's step heavier than mine. He opened a door.

"Thank you," said the man, walking in.

"Of course, Strider. I'll see you later, right?"

"Yes, likely."

"Wait. Strider?" I racked my brain. Had I heard that name before? "Do I know you?" He turned to me and for the first time, I could see his face. "Aragorn!" I yelped.

"What?" the bartender asked.

"It's nothing, I'd like to see this girl for a minute, however." The bartender nodded and trotted off. "How did you know that name, girl?"

"I...uh. See, it's a funny story, sir," I stuttered, not sure whether 'I watched you in a movie' would be acceptable. Aragorn studied me.

"What is your name?" he asked.

"I-Ivy. Ivy Stark," I said.

"Stark? I do not know of anyone with that surname. Are you, perchance, a hobbit?" he asked.

"God, am I really that short!?" I exclaimed in frustration. "No, I am not a hobbit!" Aragorn chuckled.

"Okay, Miss Stark. You are not a hobbit," he conceded.

"Thank you, Aragorn," I said. That reminded him of why he was talking to me.

"You still have not explained how you know me, Ivy," he said.

"I don't think you'd believe me," I told him.

"Try me," he said.

"No." I crossed my arms. "I don't want to be thought insane. Enough people already think my dad's off his rocker."

"Who is your father?" Aragorn pressed. I bit my lip and hesitated out of habit.

"Oh, right! You don't know him here!" I realized gleefully. "He's Tony Stark!"

"Madam, are you alright?" Aragorn asked me.

"No." This caught him off guard. Stark sass game too strong for you, man, I thought.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"I mean that I have fallen into a fictional reality, lost the only people I know, have no clue how to get back, but am just realizing there are also perks to being a complete and total stranger here," I answered in one breath.

"...What?"

"Sit down, buddy," I suggested. "You want to hear my story? Sure, I'll tell you. But you got to swear that you won't think I'm insane by the end of it." Aragorn lowered himself onto the bed.