Chapter 49

Kelby watches as another wolf appears. He looks at Seth and Samantha and assumes this wolf is Leah. He knew she wouldn't let her siblings go off without her for too long, and she wouldn't stay with Sam unless Seth and Sammy were there. She just raced in with Jacob, Seth, and Sammy.

"Who's that?" Kelsea asks.

"Leah," Kelby replies. "She's the prettiest wolf. Her fur is gorgeous."

"I like Samantha's."

Kelby smirks. "Of course you do," he muses. They head back inside when the wolves talk inside their heads to each other and Edward.

Kelby goes to Bella and she smiles weakly at him.

"Hey."

"Hey, there." Kelby sits down and he grabs a pillow. He lays the pillow in his lap and Bella lays on it.

"Can I ask you something?" Bella queries.

"Anything."

"I want to name my baby Leo," Bella says, "after Leonard. What was his middle name?"

"James," Kelby replies. "Leonard James Sheffield."

"Leo James Cullen," Bella whispers. "Is that okay? I know Leonard was your first love."

"He'd be honored to have this baby named after him," Kelby says. "I don't mind."

Bella smiles at him. "I'm glad we're close now, Kelby," she says. "You're better than I could even imagine."

"You're flattering me, Bella," Kelby scolds lightly. "If I weren't gay, Eddie would have some intense competition."

"Sure I would," Edward argues and Kelby smirks.

"Awe, Eddie, scared I'd win her?"

Kelby laughs when Edward growls warningly. "I'm sorry," he says when Bella moans when her head's jarred. "I was teasing your husband."

Bella smiles and she slowly falls asleep. Kelby gazes down at her with tender eyes. He doesn't look up when Jacob walks in. Bella's breathing is labored to a pant, her heart is unevenly beating.

"She's family to you?" Jacob asks the Doctor vampire.

"Yes," Carlisle replies without hesitation. "Bella is already a daughter to me. A beloved daughter."

"But you're going to let her die."

Carlisle's quiet. He is absolutely exhausted, much like the others here. "I can only imagine what you think of me for that," he says finally. "But I can't ignore her will. It wouldn't be right to make such a choice for her, to force her."

"Do you think there's any chance she'll make it?" Jacob asks. "I mean, as a vampire and all that. She told me about... about Esme."

"I'd say there's an even chance at this point," Carlisle answers quietly. "I've seen vampire venom work miracles, but there are conditions that even venom can't overcome. Her heart is working too hard now; if it should fail... there won't be anything for me to do."

"What is that thing doing to her?" Jacob whispers. "Sun was so much worse last night. I saw... the tubes and all that. Through the window."

"The fetus isn't compatible with her body," Carlisle says. "Too strong, for one thing, but she could endure that for a while. The bigger problem is that it won't allow her to get the substance she needs. Her body is rejecting every form of nutrition. I'm trying to feed her intravenously, but she's just not absorbing it. Everything about her condition is accelerated.mim watching her — and not just her, but the fetus, as well — starve to death by the hour. I can't figure out what it wants."

"What about blood?" Kelby asks.

Edward and Rosalie share a look at this.

"The baby's part vampire," Kelby says.

"You're right," Edward says to him. "The baby's part vampire. It's thirsty."

Rosalie's face lights up in excitement. "Of course," she says. "Carlisle, we have some O-negative laid aside for Bella. It's a good idea."

"Hmm," Carlisle hums. He puts a hand to his chin, lost I'm thought. "I wonder... what would be the best way to admiater it..."

"Have her drink it," Kelby says.

"Wait, hold on," Jacob days. "Are you - are you talking about making Bella drink blood?"

"It might help her," Kelby claims. "But we have to ask her." He looks down and sees Bella awake. "Hey, Bells. Do you want to try blood? See if that helps? The baby, you."

"I'll try anything," Bella rasps. "Who's going to catch me a grizzly bear?" She watches as they all share looks. "What?"

"It will be a more effective test if we don't cut corners, Bella," Carlisle says.

"If the fetus is craving blood," Edward explains, "it won't want animal blood."

"It won't make a difference to you, Bella. Don't think about it," Rosalie encourages and Bella's eyes widen. "Who?"

"Carlisle has some blood laid aside for you because you're clumsy," Kelby says. "I'll be outside." He leaves Bella with Rosalie and he goes onto the balcony.