Chapter 8: Feelings Out

Halsey talked to Cortana "Chief will be up in about an hour, I should suggest you familiarize yourself with the World Wide Web." Halsey says. Cortana smiles "What should I do with the remaining 59 minutes." she asks, Halsey smiles "Clever. Don't worry, I'll keep you plenty busy." Halsey says smiling and walking away. I pulled a chair up close to Chief so I could keep an eye on him. Cortana came over "So you two together or..." Cortana began to say "What! No....we aren't together. We are on the same team." I say blushing and looking away at Chief. 

*Hour passes* 

       Chief woke up, he rubbed his head as he sat up, I looked over, got up, and rushed over to his side "Chief!?" I say worried, he looks over at me and smiles while putting his hand on my cheek "It's nice to see you." he says looking all over my face. I smile and lay more into his touch "I'm just glad you are okay." I say, Chief tries to stand but is a little shaky, I immediately run over to the other side of the table "Please be careful." I say holding out my arms to make sure he doesn't fall. Chief smiles and puts his hand on my head "I'm fine, just a little wobbly on my feet for a second but I'm okay, Thank you." He says sweetly. I blush as I look at him in awe, I nod slowly, He gets up all the way and walks behind a wall to go get dressed. I watched as he walked away, I looked to the side and smiled. I walk back over to the other side of the table, I hear a ding come from the other side of the room. I walk over look around, and look down at a hologram table. I see a bubble in the top right corner of the screen blinking, I frown my eyebrows looking curiously at the bubble. I lifted my hand as though I was going to touch the bubble to see what it was but Chief came around the corner "Y/n?" he said looking around and then he saw me "Ah.." he said walking over to me "Hey, you alright?" he asks putting his hand on my back. I take my hand away quickly looking at him "Oh, hey." I say nervously. 

      We started to walk back to our rooms when we decided to stop and see the other Spartans since we hadn't seen them in a couple of days. We walked into the common room where Riz, Vannak, and Kai were. Master Chief went in first and then I walked in "I'm clear to go back into battle, If you guys have any questions, now would be the time to ask." Chief says looking at everyone. Riz, Vannak and Kai then look at me "What about you Y/N?" Kai asks. I took a step forward "I'm also cleared for battle." I say bluntly. The others just look at each other "Alright if you have no further questions, we got to go." Chief says looking at me as we are about to leave Cortana appears "Hello, I'm Cortana. I'll be working beside Chief and Y/n from now on." Cortana explained to Riz, Vannak, and Kai who looked confused about the hologram "Ah, Chief is that coming from you?" Kai asked, He looked angry at Cortana "I did not summon you..." Chief started to say "Summon me?" Cortana interrupted " Go away now...."Chief continued "LEAVE NOW, DISAPPEAR!" Chief says very sternly. Cortana turns and looks at everyone "Well it was nice meeting you guys, I hope to see you again soon." she finishes and disappears. 

      Chief looks at Riz, Vannak, and Kai who are looking at him questioningly "It's nothing, just something to help me through." He says looking back at me, I look at him as the others look at each other questioningly, Chief nods at me and we walk out. We ended up at the spot where the Keystone was being held at "Chief? What are we doing here? Please don't tell me you want to touch the keystone again. I rather not pass out again." I said worryingly, Chief nodded "I won't." I nodded "I'm going to go now, You know how to reach me if you need me." he said walking down the hall. I stood there for a couple of minutes looking at him and then at the keystone, I started to walk back to my room when I got a call "Hello?" "Y/n!! Chief went on a mission with Halsey." Kai says frantically. I dropped my phone and ran over to the other side of the building, as I was breathing heavily from running, I saw a ship take off. 

I stood at the window, watching as Chief departed for his home planet. Realizing he had forgotten to take me with him, I hurriedly put on my armor and helmet. "Chief? Can you hear me?" I called out, hoping to catch his attention. "Y/n? What's going on? Are you okay?" Chief's voice came through the comms, sounding concerned. "You left without me," I said sadly. "We're a team, we should be together." 

Chief sat in silence for a few seconds before speaking. "I didn't want you to be here with me and Halsey. You know I don't trust her," he said, looking over at Halsey. 

"I know that, but we also agreed when we were younger that if you go, I go too," I reminded him. 

He sighed. "I know, but I wouldn't forgive myself if something happened to you. Just stay with the others until I get back," he said calmly. I shake my head "Fine, I'll stay with the others, but you better be back in one piece." I said taking off my helmet. I walked to get the others "Line up!" I yelled, Kai, Riz, and Vannak came over and lined up "What is it, Y/n?" Kai asked, "We are going after Chief." I said.

Thank you for reading. I apologize for the delayed update. This chapter was a bit challenging for me. I appreciate all the love and support you have shown for this book. It means a lot to me. Until next time, BYE BYE! (: