Reaping Reaper

We entered the assembly room and took our seats as such- myself on the end of the isle to the far right, Sejanus to my left, and Coriolanus to his left, with a girl called Clemensia "Clemmy" Dovecote capping the the isle. Professor Highbottom approached, announcing the 10th annual hunger games. I saw Sejanus whispering to Coriolanus in my peripheral vision. What could he possibly be saying to him right now?  I wondered, but my thoughts were interrupted by professor Highbottom. 

"Students, this year, there has been a change. Dr. Gaul has requested that we implement a new strategy this year, in which each of you, as top of your class, will be mentoring one of the selected 24 Hunger Games tributes," he paused for dramatic effect as we all absorbed this unfathomable news. The only one who did not looked shocked was, of course, Sejanus. It was all starting to make sense. 

"This is an honor and a privilege, treat it as such," Professor Highbottom began again. "Whoever may be deemed worthy at the end of the games, will win the coveted Plinth Prize Scholarship. Anyone caught administering unauthorized aid to their tribute will be disqualified immediately, and punished with a severity you do not wish to uncover. Any questions?" everyone murmured amongst themselves in shock, some with dread, others with glee. "Very well," professor Highbottom continued, powering on the multiple monitors in the room. "Let the reaping commence"

    We were uncerimoniously joined by the infamous weatherman of Panem, Lucretius "Lucky" Flickerman; he had been given the title of game host this year. Cameras filed in from all sides of the room, and microphones were attached to any surface that would hold one. "Smiles everybody! You are the future of Panem, what a joy! What a privilege! Remember your posture!" Lucretius announced. "And... we're live!" 

     One by one, professor Highbottom went down a list, assigning each tribute to a student. Everyone held their breath, or tapped their fingers anxiously against their desk waiting to see who they would be assigned. 

"The district four female, Coral, goes to Festus Creed" Festus' face lit up as he stared at the vicious looking girl on the screen. 

I rolled my eyes, "they're perfect for each other" I mumbled. Normally, this would have coaxed a laugh out of Sejanus, but instead I looked over at him and could physically see him turning greyer by the second. Many of our other classmates had been paired with their tributes already, and he knew we would be next. 

"District eleven female, Dill, goes to Felix Ravenstill." Felix received some claps on the back, and a few whispers of pity that Dill didn't look like a winner. 

"District eleven male, Reaper, goes to Ambrosia Cadence." Suddenly I felt the weight of many eyes boring into me, jealousy swarming in their midst. 

"Of course she got a good one, I bet Plinth begged his daddy to buy her a good one, since she's his little pet." I heard Felix whisper to Festus. My face turned red and hot at their words, I knew that they knew I could hear them. They wanted to be heard. 

"Shut up Felix," Chimed Clemmy, "you're just jealous that you got stuck with a sickly one" A sickly one. I cringed at Clemmy's words, I knew she meant well by sticking up for me, but saying that about someone being forced to fight other kids to the death was a bit too insensitive and cruel. 

I dared a peek at Coriolanus, his knuckles were white on the desk from gripping it with conviction. "District twelve female, Lucy Grey, goes to Coriolanus Snow". Everyone watched in amusement and horror as Coriolanus' tribute strolled forward, dropping a snake down another girl's dress, getting slapped, and then singing a song all in the span of a couple of minutes. 

"Well, she's certainly entertaining," whispered Clemmy. Once Lucy's show was over, and a couple other names were called, Professor Highbottom eyed Sejanus with a wicked look. Sejanus gulped audibly, and quickly grasped my knee with his hand for support. I was taken back by the intimate gesture, but did not have time to ponder it before professor Highbottom spoke again. 

"And now, our final tribute. District two male, Marcus, goes to Sejanus Plinth." Sejanus grip on my knee was alarmingly tight now, I dared a glance at him, and he looked like he was actively trying not to be sick. 

"What is it?" I whispered. 

"Marcus, I know him. He was my classmate back in 2." The room went silent, and a look of horror fell over my face.